Saturday, January 22, 2022

Saturday 9: I'm the Only One

Sam’s Saturday 9: I'm the Only One (1993)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Melissa Etheridge sings this song as though her heart is breaking. What's your favorite love song? Is it about falling in love, being in love, or losing love?

Hmm… there are so many many great song it is hard to pick just one.

I pick Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight


Runner up…

Chris Norman & Suzi Quatro - Stumblin' In 


2) "I'm the Only One" is a favorite song of American Idol contestants, having been performed four different times. If we were to have a Saturday 9 karaoke night, what song would you do?

Row, Row Your Boat.

Okay, before I retired we had contract to build power plants in South Korea and that meant filed trips to there, so the company gave culture competency training and because karaoke is big over there were had to have a song ready when we are asked to to karaoke. I said I can’t sing, and the trainer said that’s half the fun watching someone stubble through a song, so I said Row, Row Your Boat.

3) A rocker at heart, Melissa Etheridge began her career in her teen years, playing with local country groups. Which do you enjoy more: country or rock?

Rock! Or more precisely rock of the 60s and 70s.

4) In 1985, Melissa sent a demo to Olivia Records, hoping for a record deal. She was rejected. Her debut CD was released in 1988 on the Island label and went gold. Tell us about a time you bounced back from professional adversity.

Well as I said I built power plant control systems, well we built a billion dollar plant in Korea and they went to turn it on, they flipped the switch and nothing happened! Well all eyes focused on me and the test department. I mean all eyes! From the CEO of where I worked to the CEO of the Korean electric company. I had to do a video conference (This was back before Zoom, it was an actual video link we had to the plant over there.) so I outlined my plan to get the plant online (It is a million dollars a day when the plant is down.) the CEO of the electric company was screaming at the CEO of the company and little ol’ me was standing right in the middle of the brouhaha.

It turned out that the electric company’s crew had dropped a screw and it shorted out a power supply and it wasn’t our fault, I imagine that there were a lot of red faces over there when we fixed their problem. 

5) In her personal life, Melissa has faced major challenges, including breast cancer and the death of her son. She credits music with helping her heal emotionally. What gives you strength?

Living each day a me.

6) Melissa is a vegetarian, so her diet emphasizes plant-based foods like fruits, grains, nuts and vegetables. What was your most recent meal? Would it qualify as vegetarian?

Um… no I wouldn’t qualify as a vegetarian, it was bacon and eggs with hash browns.

7) In 1993, the year this song was popular, a massive storm dropped a record 56" of snow in Mount Le Conte, TN. Have you done much shoveling this winter?

Zero. I have someone plow the driveway and sidewalks.

8) One of the most popular movies of 1993 was A Few Good Men, starring Tom Cruise, Demi Moore and Jack Nicholson, who famously said, "You can't handle the truth!" What's the most recent movie you watched?

Let’s see, I think it was… was… I don’t watch many movies so this is hard. Um… I think it was last week that I stumbled across a movie on cable Blue Ridge.

9) Random question: Dessert is on us! Describe your perfect ice cream sundae.

A scoop of rum raisin ice cream, chocolate fudge (Of course.), cherry vanilla ice cream, more fudge, Banana Split ice cream, and topped with a cherry, and pecans, drizzled with fudge.

I got a suggestion for a song and questions… “A Hole In the Bucket” by Harry Belafonte & Odetta and the questions can be about your bucket list.

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

~~~~~~~~~~

In memory of Meat Loaf...



11 comments:

  1. Oh, I didn't think of the Clapton song. I think that was the big slow dance number at every school dance I ever went to and it was played at most wedding receptions for most of the 70's and into the 80's. My husband had something similar happen last year building a new plant for GE. He was getting flack for something not working and it was GE's people who had shorted something out. I like your song/question suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the story of the Korean power plant. One tiny mistake …

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story about your work! Wow. That was a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Korean Power Plant story was one of your best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word--your Korean Power Plant story was something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Power Plant story gave me some anxiety to hear. I am so glad that all was figured out and worked out for you.
    My heart was a little sad yesterday when I heard about Meatloaf. I love his music. Loved your answers!
    Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the Meat Loaf tribute! Sad it could have been avoided. He was an anti-vaxxer and so died of COVID. I will miss his music greatly. I worked at a nightclub (as a DJ) but we went on stage and did this big routine lip-synching "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" and I played Meat. It was a blast and the audience loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad things worked out for the power plant problem. Did anyone say they were sorry? That is some sundae! I don't recall any of Meatloaf's music. I liked soft rock for the most part and not heavy metal. I did like Queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course not, everyone just kind of moved on. My only compliments came from my immediate bosses.

      Delete
  9. Bacon and eggs and hashbrowns: certainly not vegetarian but certainly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like rock through the 80's but then they lost me, for the most part. lol
    The Power Plant "screw loose' taking down a huge project must have been embarrassing for the big wigs. hahaha.. Glad it was easy found and THEIR fault. Whew!

    ReplyDelete