Thursday, January 06, 2022

Back When…

...I first started hormones my endo said, these are some of the known risks with taking hormone. And one of the items that he ticked off was diabetes.

Transgender People and the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
Endocrinology Advisor
By Colby Stong
January 5, 2022


Prevalent and incident type 2 diabetes (T2D) risk may be higher among transfeminine (TF) persons compared with cisgender women but not cisgender men, according to a study in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

The study also found there was little evidence linking T2D to gender-affirming hormone therapy (GAHT) in either TF or transmasculine (TM) people.

The findings are based on data from the Study of Transition Outcomes and Gender (STRONG), an electronic health record (EHR)-based population of transgender/ transgender diverse (TGD) persons receiving care at 3 health systems located in Northern California, Southern California, and Georgia. Data were obtained from 2006 through 2014, and follow-up was conducted through the end of 2016.

Well in 2004 when I started my hormones they must have known something about the prevalence of diabetes among trans women otherwise why did the doctor warn me?

I weighed my risks and decided to accept them and that is how it should be, informed consent.

~~~~~

Those who follow my blog know that I have a pet peeve against calling Cross Gender Hormone (CGH) Therapy or as they call it in this article Gender-Affirming Hormone Therapy (GAHT) “HRT.” The reason why is 1000! We take about a thousand times more Estrogen than a cis gender women on HRT for menopause. As we are wheeled into the emergency room and they are trying to get our meds, we answer HRT they are not thinking of blood clots as much if we said CGH.

I know of a trans man who was in pain in his abdomen and the doctors thought appendicitis not a ruptured cyst on his ovaries. It almost cost him his life. They realized right away that he was a trans man but it wasted valuable time on the operating table, however they did ask him if he wanted his uterus and ovaries removed while they were in there.

It is your life, but I rather be honest to my doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment