Friday, January 07, 2022

C'est La Vie.


This started out as just a post about the song Lola but by the time I went to publish it I decided to make it about being canceled.

~~~~~~

I grew up with the song Lola, when I heard the song for the first time, it was the first time that I wasn’t alone in the way I felt, There was actually a song about it!

But now somehow it has become “Taboo” by the younger generation because of the language used to describe us. Some of the lyrics they object to are,

Well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand

Why she walked like a woman but talked like a man

------

Well, I'm not the world's most masculine man

But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man

And so is Lola

But to me Lola is a lot more than the song. And now a days they only hear the words and do not understand what it was like back then.

When I first heard Lola I thought I was all alone, I didn’t think anyone else in the world thought the way I did. There was no internet where the world is at your fingers, your world consisted of those around you. You didn’t communicate with anyone that you didn’t know “in real life.”

One summer day I was washing my car when Lola came on the radio and I heard “Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola La-la-la-la Lola.” Whoa! There is a song about the way I feel! There must be others that feel the same as me!

But now I am told that the song is disgusting and it should be banned, but they have no idea how others feel about the song.

So what do you think?

find bike trails




There are those who think that the transgender umbrella only covers them, post-ops. A while back as executive director of CT TransAdvocacy Coalition somebody emailed us saying that they no longer support us because they found out that we supported crossdressers and drag queens! That we didn’t support the “true” transgender person those who transitioned.

When I first came out into this world as trans the world “transgender” was defined as anyone who crossed the gender norm but the word is being morphed into meaning something else.

When we were trying to pass the gender non-discrimination law one of the things that we held #1 was that the law would cover everyone, not just those who have transitioned. Nowhere in the law will you find the word transgender, the law says
(21) "Gender identity or expression" means a person's gender-related identity, appearance or behavior, whether or not that gender-related identity, appearance or behavior is different from that traditionally associated with the person's physiology or assigned sex at birth, which gender-related identity can be shown by providing evidence including, but not limited to, medical history, care or treatment of the gender-related identity, consistent and uniform assertion of the gender-related identity or any other evidence that the gender-related identity is sincerely held, part of a person's core identity or not being asserted for an improper purpose.
We defined it as broadly as we could, we wanted the law to cover all those who crossed the gender norms.

So what do you think of the “transgender” inclusive or exclusive?

bike trails




Lastly I read a blog post where they found the word “trans” objectionable, they preferred “transgender” to “trans.” They find it disrespectful to the whole person, but the way I see it the words “trans” is respectful to the whole community because it allows a person to add woman or man or just leave it as trans.

What do you think?

picture polls



Word meaning changes over time, just look at the word “gay” it mainly meant to be cheerful, carefree, and happy. When I do training I start off with definitions and my first slide is…
  •     Every culture has their own language 
  •     Definitions evolve
  •     Words can have different means to different people
  •     Some people are very passionate about labels
I think that the third bullet is the most salient point, words have different meaning to different people and we have to respect those differences, unless they deny our right to exist, so whether you agree will Lola being disrespectful, or finding “trans” objectionable or not  we have to respect their views but at the same time they have to be respectful of our views.

We are a very diverse community and there should be enough room in it for a wide variety of views and we might not agree with them all. Language morphs, words morphs we must be respective to the changes while they have to be respective to us.

4 comments:

  1. "Well, I'm not the world's most masculine man
    But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
    And so is Lola"

    If this means Lola is also glad that the speaker is a man, then that's OK with me. However, I've always taken it to mean that Lola is a man, just as is the speaker. I find that offensive now, as I did when the song came out (which was long before I came out). I've always found the lyrics to have sexual connotation and, as such, never has been a vibe I have wanted to give or receive. Also, the song is obviously about outing someone, which is not cool. I never thought that Lola, as she's described in the song, was like me - except that I'd been a transgender woman for years before the song, and have been many more since. Don't get me started on "Dude Looks Like a Lady."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the song, Lola. I can only imagine that back in the day it was written it must have been such a comfort to those who could identify with the song and know they were not alone. I hope you do not mind me commenting on this topic. I did your polls too. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I welcome allies commenting!
      When we speak up, people says that we have an axe to grind, but when an ally speaks up they do so from the heart.

      Delete
  3. I should say...I have no idea what it is like to live in your shoes, but I want to learn and support you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete