Saturday, June 13, 2020

Saturday 9: The Rain, The Park, and Other Things


On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Wow! I’m going to be home all weekend! First time in a month and the addition is finished!




Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here

1) The Cowsills were a family band who had three hit singles. Can you name another group of popular singing siblings?
Yes, another set of singing siblings is the Carpenters.

It so sad that she was struck down with such an insidious disease. 

2) This was their first hit, and it reached #2 on the Billboard charts. It was kept out of the #1 slot by the Monkees and "Daydream Believer." What's your favorite Monkees song?
"Pleasant Valley Sunday" 

I am reminded of the song each Sunday when I sit out on my deck; with the smell of charcoal and the drone of lawn mowers

Factoid: I believe that Pete Tork used to live in Connecticut and used to play at open mics here. I was not lucky to see him at an open mic but friends have.

3) After seeing the Cowsill brothers perform with their mother and sister, TV producers were inspired to create the sitcom, The Partridge Family. Did you ever watch it?
Different generation. Nope, even though I liked Shirley Jones.

4) In the song, the narrator takes a flower from a girl in the park. Are there flowers in your home right now?
No, but there is a wild rose bush just off the deck that fills the house with its perfume. 

5) He isn't sure if the girl was real, or if he dreamed her. Tell us about a recent dream you had.
I'm one of those people who don't remember my dreams when I wake up.

6) At the height of the Cowsills' popularity, they were hired by the American Dairy Association to promote drinking milk. If we were to peek into your refrigerator right now, would we find any milk?
Oh yes, I go through a quart a week.

7) After the band stopped performing together, John Cowsill went on to become a back up musician for the Beach Boys. His job has kept him on the road much of the time. When you travel, do you enjoy staying in hotels, or would you rather stay with friends/family?
Neither, I rather stay at a B&B, not Airbnb.

8)  In 1967, the year this song was popular, Elvis married Priscilla in Las Vegas. Have you attended any weddings yet this year? Are there any weddings in your future?
Nope, waiting for the grandchildren to get married.

9) Random question: Are the bottoms of your feet ticklish?
I refuse to answer on the grounds that I maybe tortured. 

9 comments:

  1. You picked Pleasant Valley Sunday! That's a Carole King song, and I remember that you enjoyed "Beautiful," the musical based on her life and work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleasant Valley Sunday is a great song. I'd forgotten about that one. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the picture you paint of sitting out on the deck on Sundays...and of the rose bush's scent filling the house. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pleasant Valley Sunday was my second choice for favorite Monkees song!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Karen Carpenter's voice. I was just talking about her yesterday.
    Your rose bush sounds heavenly! I bet it smells amazing. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe that I didn't think of The Carpenters. Since retiring I add songs and work on my library. I added a ton of Carpenters just a month ago!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooo forgot about pleasant valley sunday... yes! Love
    fun read, and i quite love the words beneath your picture... thank you for being an activist for equality. It's the only way humans can move beyond judgement and fighting and really live
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color, new to this meme

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your last answer made me giggle. :) I've never had a chance to stay at a B&B, but it's definitely high on my bucket list! ~M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, Peter Tork was my favorite Monkee. I can't believe he's gone :(

    ReplyDelete