Saturday, March 21, 2020

Saturday 9: Complete Symphonies

Sam’s Saturday 9: Complete Symphonies (2019)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…



This week we're classing up the joint with a well-received box-set by the Danish Chamber Orchestra. You can listen to the orchestra here.

1) Beethoven is one of classical music's best known composers. Do you often listen to classical music?
Once in a great while, I do like Ferde Grofé’s Grand Canyon Suite



2) Though a musical genius, Beethoven never learned to multiply or divide. When faced with a simple arithmetic problem, do you do it in your head? Or do you rely on the calculator in your phone or on your computer?
On a machine… my head makes errors.

3) Beethoven bathed often, which was considered "quirky" for a man of his time. (Understandable, since you had the heat the water, haul it to the tub, and then empty the tub bucket by bucket when you were done.) Do you bathe in the morning or in the evening?
Yes.
Both,since I am retired showering is not tied to work so I can take a shower anytime that I want.


4) Adam Fischer conducts the Danish Chamber Orchestra for this 5-disc set. He began his musical career young, when he sang in the children's choir of Budapest's National Opera House. Have you ever sung in a choir or chorus?
Ha!
In six grade there had the class children's choir to sing for our parents. I was told to shut-up and mouth the words. After that do you think that I ever sang again?

5) Mr. Fischer was awarded the Gold Medal of Arts from the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. Tell us about a prize or award you have received. (Yes, that ribbon you earned for penmanship in second grade counts.)
Well my first award was in the ninth grade for a science project.
Since then I have received a number of awards, including first and second prizes in the photo contest at the local Ag fair.
My latest was from the Metropolitain Community Church in Hartford, I received their “Unsung Hero Award.
Photo by Dawn
6) The Danish Chamber Orchestra is beloved in Denmark. When, in 2014, the Danish Broadcasting Company announced it would no longer fund the Orchestra, citizens began a crowdfunding campaign and raised more than $1,000,000 to keep the music playing. Have you ever contributed to a crowdfunding platform, like GoFundMe, Kickstarter or FundRazr?
Yes, I gave to a couple of “GoFundMe” causes.

7) The Orchestra's "home" is the Royal Danish Conservatory of Music in Copenhagen. Where were you when you last heard music played live?
Hmm…
I think it was on my deck, during a party last fall a couple of friends brought their guitars.

8) In 2019, when this boxed set was released, China became the first nation to land a spacecraft on the far side of the moon. Are you fascinated by stories about space?
Ha!
Are you kidding everything about space fascinates me. I even have a scrapbook on news articles from the 50s, 60s and 70s that my brother started and I continued.

9) Random question: Tell us about your week. These are extraordinary times, and it might feel good to share.
Well Sunday I visited a friend
Monday grocery shopping and a walk in the park
Tuesday sat around and read or listened to an audiobook
Wednesday sat around and read or listened to an audiobook… oh an I helped a friend who is a professor learn how to do her classes online. I played the student while she figured out the software.
Thursday sat around and read or listened to an audiobook
Friday sat around and read or listened to an audiobook and went grocery shopping again
Saturday I plan on going for a walk again
And tomorrow… Shh! I plan on going to a friend’s house and having a spaghetti dinner with a couple of other senior shut-ins. (Update 6:30 PM: it has been canceled)

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your award! Love the photo. "Made in God's Image." What a lovely sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also fascinated by space and space exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your award! I sympathize with your music critic. I had a teacher put that I am tone deaf on my report card. She still made me sing out loud in front of the class, though. Can't thank her enough for that torture. Enjoy your super secret dinner with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your award! That is so great!
    That is super nice of you to help a teacher having to switch to online.
    Enjoy your dinner with friends! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are managing the new life changes nicely. Enjoyed what I heard of your symphony. Nice flute parts there before I clicked to answer your blog and it went away.

    ReplyDelete