Sunday, March 01, 2020

Get Your Ducks In A Row

Okay so you transitioned and changed your name and gender on your driver license, Social Security, credit cards, and your other IDs but did you change your voter registration?
Transgender voters may be unable to vote in this year’s presidential election
More than 250,000 transgender voters could be unable to vote in this year’s presidential election in the United States, new research has cautioned.
Pink News UK
By Patrick Kelleher
February 28, 2020

There are approximately 378,000 eligible transgender voters in the United States who do not have up-to-date identification which accurately represents their gender identity or appearance, the UCLA School of Law report said.

260,000 of those eligible voters reside in states where voters are required to present identification in polling centres, meaning they could be turned away on voting day, Reuters reports.
[…]
Jody Herman, who is a co-writer on the report, said that staff at polling centres decide whether the person is who they say they are based on identification in 35 of 50 states.
For me I had all my ducks in a row. I had changed my voter information and I had changed my driver license and when I went to vote one of the people looking at IDs I believe was from a political party. He took a look at my driver license (which had a photo of me, had an “F” and had my legal name on it) and said that I wasn’t the person on the driver license. Hun?

I said yes it is my license and stared at him. He stared at me… finally he handed back my license and I voted.

So what are your rights if you are denied your Constitutional right to vote?

Okay so what you can do if they reject your ID?

First do raise your voice, don’t make a scene, stay clam as adrenaline is pumped into your bloodstream and your blood pressure goes up.

I’m not a lawyer so don’t take this as legal advice but what I would do is…
Ask the person who said you cannot vote their name and their authority to deny your right to vote (they might not be a poll worker, they might be from a political party).

Contact the Town Clerks office and the Secretary of State office and possibly the Commission on Human Rights and Opportunity (CHRO) if you feel that they denied your right to vote because you are trans.

Remember here in Connecticut you do not need a photo ID, you will only need according to the Secretary of State office
You must present:
A copy of a current and valid photo identification that shows your name and address;
Or
A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address;
Or
Cast a provisional ballot
You do not need a “Voter ID.”

But the defense is to get your ducks in a row and make sure all your ID matches.



Sadly I had to remove the contact form because of people using it to spam me. I don’t understand all the work that goes into filling out the form just to send me an ad.

I might look for a contact form that uses verification.

1 comment:

  1. I voted as Heather in 2016. It was glorious considering the fact that this town is very republican and very conservative. My ID shows my other name but I don't think anyone gave me a second glance.

    ReplyDelete