Saturday, March 07, 2020

Saturday 9: Bye, Bye Blackbird

Sam’s Saturday 9: Bye, Bye Blackbird (1957)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Julie London complains about all the "hard luck stories" people are handing her. Did you more recently listen to someone else's problems, or share your own?
Yes, a friend unloads on me all the time, he has gone through a lot in his life.

2) She promises to arrive "late tonight." What time do you think is too late to drop in on someone?
The old I get the earlier “too late tonight” gets, right now it is eight o’clock.

3) Julie's nickname was "The Liberty Girl" because she was Liberty Records' first successful artist. The second was singer-songwriter David Seville, who had a couple novelty hits as "The Chipmunks." There were three singing chipmunks. Without looking it up, can you name them?
The only one that I remember is Alvin.

4) Julie's love of music was shared by her mother. When Julie was a little girl, mother and daughter would listen to Billie Holiday records together. What recordings did you enjoy when you were very young?
Burl Ives.


5) She began modeling when she 17. Julie was working as an elevator operator when a talent agent saw her and decided she would photograph well. With the advent of push-button elevators, elevator operator is a job that doesn't exist anymore. Can you think of another job that was once common but now is rare (or non-existent)?
Unless you live in New Jersey where by law a gas station attendant has to pumps gas. Last year driving through though Whitingham, VT coming from a family get together in Bennington VT I stop to get gas. As I was getting out of the car a woman came out of the office and said she would do that. She not only pumped gas but she wiped the windows.

6) Julie recorded more than 30 albums and was named "most popular female vocalist" by Billboard magazine in 1956. If you could see any entertainer -- male or female -- in concert, who would you choose?
Wow, how to pick one. I can think of a dozen of people who I would like to see in concert… okay here is one I would like to see in concert but because of health reasons she doesn’t sing in public anymore. Linda Ronstadt.

7) She appeared in Westerns on both TV and in the movies. Have you ever dreamed of being a cowboy/cowgirl?
Yes… running away from home and living on the open range punching doggies. Head 'em up, move 'em on, Rawhide.

8) For six seasons, Julie played Dixie McCall R.N. on the show Emergency! The series was about Los Angeles paramedics and firefighters. Do you often hear sirens in your neighborhood?
Yes. My house backs up on a main road. It is about 150 feet from my back door and it is a wooded wetland.

9) Random question: You're pulled over for speeding. Do you think you'd have an easier time talking your way out of it if the officer was a man... or a woman?
A woman officer, I think that I would face less bias.

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Now I'll have the Rawhide theme in my head all day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool you still have gas station attendants! I think that is wonderful.
    I love Burl Ives! Makes me think of my childhood. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Burl Ives' voice, too. I didn't realize someone has to pump your gas in NJ. I don't know if I think it should be a law, but it would be nice if some places gave you the option...like when it's pouring down rain or freezing cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Linda Ronstadt in concert in the 1980s when she was touring with Aaron Neville. It was a great show.

    ReplyDelete