Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Have You Attended A Trans Support Group?

It seems like support groups have a love them, hate them with the community. There’re some trans people who swear by them and another group of people hate them and wouldn’t set foot in them.
Support group offers window into how Las Vegas treats its transgender residents
Nevada Independent
By Jackie Valley
March 18th, 2018

The circle of chairs just keeps getting larger.

First, it’s only a man and woman sitting on a couch. But then someone takes a chair across the circle. Then another. And another. By the time Blue Montana takes a seat and introduces himself, 13 people surround him. Some are strangers. Some are friends. But in this room — with its dark purple walls, lime-green lockers and orange-tinted floors — Montana wants all to feel welcome and, more importantly, comfortable to be themselves. So his introduction comes with an invitation to do just that:

“My pronouns are he/him,” Montana tells the group. “This week so far was good.”

The introductions continue in that pattern.

 “My name is T. I don’t have a pronoun right now. I think I had a good week.”

“I’m Harper. Female pronouns. My week has been terrible.”

“My name is Geneva. Pronouns she and her. Last week was pretty crappy, and I’d rather not talk about it.”
This is common in support groups, the check-in.

It is just basic peer support group procedure, it give everyone a chance to speak-up. Many times after the check-in the group will go back and ask a member to expand more on their opening comments. Some support groups are more social than support, they have trips out to dinner, movies, or the theaters. But even those trips can be supportive by getting their member out in the public to build up courage for its members.

I used to visit every support group in the state to talk about the gender inclusive non-discrimination bill so I got to know many trans people in the state and also see how their group operates. I still attend two support groups regularly now so much for support but more socially. I see many friends at the meetings. It is also the reason I attend Fantasia Fair, not for the workshops but more for the social aspect.

I am also the treasurer for Connecticut Outreach Society because I saw too many times the treasurer left the group and it was hard to track them down to sign over the bank account to another member so I became the treasurer.


No comments:

Post a Comment