Saturday, November 01, 2014

Saturday 9: Welcome to My Nightmare

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Welcome to My Nightmare (1975)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Tell us about a bad dream you've had.
I don’t usually remember my dreams in the morning. If I wake up at night I sometimes remember them for a short time but forget them by the time I wake up.

2) Sam is not crazy about spiders. What frightens you, or gives you "the creeps?"
Not too many things; I think I’m frightened by the unexpected but it is nt really frightened but more like surprised.

3) This week's featured artist, Alice Cooper, has always liked to dress up. Performing as Alice, he wears garish eye makeup. In his first group, he and his bandmates dressed as the Beatles. Will you be wearing a costume this weekend?
Nope, I don’t dress up for Halloween.

4) Alice says his makeup was inspired by Bette Davis in his favorite horror movie, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? This Halloween weekend, will you seek out horror movies and scary TV shows, or will you avoid them?
I don’t watch horror movies, zombie movies or blood and guts movies. I like the movies from the 50s and 60s where it left the drama to your imaginations and not show disemboweled people.

5) Born Vincent Furnier, Alice used to tell reporters that he and his band got the name Alice Cooper from a Oujia board. Have you ever tried a Oujia board?
Nope. I saw one once but I think their stupid. Oujia boards, séances, tarot cards, palm reading, etc. are all a waste of time. I look at them as a form on entertainment. (maybe that is why I’m an engineer)

6) Alice and his band (also called Alice Cooper) were discovered by music manager Shep Gordon while playing in Venice, California. Have you ever visited Venice, California or Venice, Italy?
Yes, we drove down the coast from Washington to San Francisco. If you want scary drive down the coast as opposed to driving up the coast, when you drive down the coast you are on the ocean side. Because sometimes there are no guardrails and there is a couple of hundred foot drop into the ocean, the only thing between you and the ocean is maybe a foot.

7) In 1970s England, a morality campaigner named Mary Whitehouse persuaded the BBC to ban Alice Cooper. The ensuing publicity resulted in such a bump in record sales that Alice sent Ms. Whitehouse flowers. Do you believe in censorship? Or should adults be able to choose to see/hear whatever they wish?
Well as long as they are adults they should be able to watch what they want as long as no one got hurt.

8) Today Alice has a popular syndicated radio show, Nights with Alice Cooper. Listeners all over the United States, Germany, Denmark, New Zealand, and the UK hear him introduced as, "a man for whom even Dr. Phil has no cure." Do you watch Dr. Phil?
Dr. Phil is a quack, he is not a psychologist he has studied psychology but that doesn’t make him a psychologist.

9) Did you get many trick or treaters this year? What candy did you give them?
Nope, I don’t give out candy and there are not that many children that were out trick or treating in my neighborhood. All the kids have grown up and we are a “mature” neighborhood.

I was away on the Cape Cod least week.

4 comments:

  1. I don't watch much horror, either. Too gory for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, I like an intellectual thriller rather than gore and guts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might enjoy a scary movie more without having to see all that blood and guts. I commented to a friend that although I liked House, I didn't enjoy seeing them *actually* doing the operation. Why not just mention it in dialogue and let your imagination picture it? Seeing all that other stuff just makes me squeamish and takes the enjoyment out of the show/movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like you when it comes to remembering dreams. I just try to move on with my morning.

    ReplyDelete