Saturday, November 29, 2014

Its time to make the chili!

I make 4qt, of chili and freeze it for the winter; this year I couldn't find salt pork so I'm using slab bacon. I usually add salt pork along with the stew meat but I hunted in two supermarkets and couldn't find any, I really should buy it in the summer when the stores have it.

Also I'm using chili seasoning instead of chili powder and cumin. When i was up at Fantasia Fair I went to Atlantic Spice Co. in North Truro and saw the package of seasoning.

After a lot of research and experimentation here is my secret award winning* chili recipe...

My Chili Recipe
  • 1 LB. Lean ground beef or beef cubes
  • 1/2 LB. Salt Pork
  • 1 Green Pepper
  • 1 Onion
  • 16 oz Can Red kidney beans
  • 16 oz Can Pinto beans
  • 2 - 16 oz Can Tomato sauce
  • 2 TBS Cumin
  • 2 TBS Chili power
  • 2 TBS Minced garlic
  • 1 Cups Water ( Option - Beer )
  • 1/4 Cup Cornmeal
  • Tabasco sauce
Cut the salt pork up into 1/4 inch strips. Brown the ground beef and salt pork in a skillet. Coarsely chop the onion and pepper. Except for the cornmeal and the Tabasco sauce, add all the ingredients into a 4-quart crock pot and let the ingredients mingle and get to know one another for about 4 hours on high.. Stir in the cornmeal to thicken. Season to taste with the Tabasco sauce.

I don't use corn flour any more because I'm diabetic and I have to watch my carbohydrates.

*Before I retired the factory where I worked had a blind chili contest and I won.

No comments:

Post a Comment