Saturday, November 08, 2014

Saturday 9: Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Brother, Can You Spare a Dime? (1932)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Bing Crosby wants a dime for food. Adjusted for inflation, 10¢ in 1932 is now worth $1.69. Can you think of anything you could buy at the grocery story with $1.69?
An orange, they are on sale 5 for $5.

2) This song was originally released as a 78 rpm record. Have you ever seen a 78?
Yes, I think I have one or two from my parents’ house.

3) In 1932, Jean Harlow was Hollywood's glamor queen. Who do you think sets the standard for glamor today?
The way kids dress today I would say there isn’t a standard

4) One of 1932's best selling books was Agatha Christie's Peril at End House. She remains popular today. Are you familiar with her work?
If you watch Masterpiece Theater you should be.

5) This week's featured artist, Bing Crosby, worked as a caddy when he was 12 and continued to enjoy time on the golf course his entire life. What type of exercise do you do most often?
Walking, but not enough.

6) Bing had twin sons, Dennis and Philip. Many people believe that the propensity for twins is hereditary. Are there twins in your family?
Nope.

7) Bing's daughter, Mary Crosby, has her own place in TV history. Do you know why?
Nope, I had to google her.

8) In the mid 1970s, Crosby and his family did commercials for Minute Maid. Do you have any orange juice in your refrigerator?
Nope, it is poison for me.

9) Now for something completely random: Do you like beef jerky?
I used to eat it when I was in college but not in the last forty years.

5 comments:

  1. Your answer to #9 got me to thinking: does beef jerky ever go bad? I bet if you still had a piece from college, it would still be edible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orange juice always gives me heartburn, but oranges don't????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't often eat jerky, but sometimes I get some homemade deer or moose jerky and it is actually really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exercising is tough. I know I certainly don't do enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I am the only one who knew about Mary and didn't have to Google her. Not sure if that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete