Saturday, November 12, 2022

Saturday 9: Walkin' After Midnight

 Sam's Saturday 9: Walkin' After Midnight (1957)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun… 


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

 1) The lyrics tell us Patsy Cline was out walking after midnight. Where were you at midnight last night?

Surfing the web. 

2) She's sure she hears the night winds whispering to her. Is it windy, breezy, or still outdoors right now?

You better believe it was windy with heavy rains and high winds from the remnants of hurricane Nicole is passing by, the wind rattling the windows woke me up at 1 AM (When I am writing Sat 9).

3) When she was 13, Patsy came down with a fever and throat infection so severe she ended up in the hospital. She believed the illness changed her vocal chords and enabled her to sing in a lower key. How are you doing this cold and flu season?

Well it has been 8 days since my flu and COVID shots and I haven’t been out in public a lot.

4) Patsy is well remembered today not only for her voice but for her generous spirit. Loretta Lynn, Dottie West and Barbara Mandrell all considered Patsy a trusted personal friend and professional mentor. Have you ever been a mentor?

Well kind of. I was an intern supervisor for a MSW and BSW candidates.

5) Patsy had a tough side, too. While traveling by bus and playing one-nighters, she found she and her band sometimes never got paid for their efforts. So she began demanding payment -- in cash -- before they would take the stage. She'd insist, "No dough, no show." Tell us about your tough side.

I don’t have a tough side, I’m a marshmallow… But! This spring when the dealer wanted to charge me $75 to tell me my gas cap was loose.

Like any dutiful car owner when the “check engine” light comes on I brought my car in to be checked (With visions of $$$$ dollars signs dancing in my head.).

Dealer: We fixed the problem, that will be $75.
Me: (As I was pulling out the credit card. Thinking I got off easy.) What was wrong with the car?
Dealer: The gas cap was loose so we tighten it.
Me: Wait! What? You are charging me $75 to tighten the gas cap?
Dealer: Pointing to the sign on the wall, $75 to diagnose the problem.
Me (Voice getting a little raised.): I have been a loyal customer for over 20 years, and bought four Prii from you and you have the f**king gall to charge me $75 to tighten the gas cap?
Dealer: Pauses… writes N/C on the bill and I walk out steaming.

6) Patsy became the first female country star to headline at a Las Vegas showroom. Who is your favorite country performer?

Well as most of you know I am not a country music fan but I would say Dolly Parton.

7) In 1957, the year this song hit #2 on the charts, embroidered cotton handkerchiefs were a popular present for the ladies on your gift list. Do you own any handkerchiefs?

I think that somewhere in the back of a bureau draw I have a couple.

8) 1957 was a banner year for Elvis. He released four hit records, two top box-office films, and his TV appearances topped the ratings. 65 years later, he is still recognized the world over by his first name alone. Can you think of another performer for whom one name is all that's required?

Well the first one that pops into my head is Cher, and the second is Bono.

9) Random question: What's the most embarrassing story your parents (or siblings) tell about you?

I’m pleading ignorance… it has been almost twenty years since they passed away.

6 comments:

  1. #5: Good for you! I'd say you have a tough side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a tough side! And I've been surprised at all the people who have handkerchiefs from their moms tucked away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I immediately thought of Cher, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It gauls me what some garages think they can pull on women.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Dolly and she is one you could identify her with her first name only too.
    It seems like I remember that story about the gas cap. I am glad you stood up to them! Aren't you kind of tough with the LGBTQ rights? I was thinking you do speeches. That makes you a mentor there too. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good that you stood your ground on that charge!

    ReplyDelete