Saturday, March 19, 2022

Saturday 9: GET ON YOUR FEET

Sam’s Saturday 9: GET ON YOUR FEET (1989)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Gloria Estefan encourages us to stand up and make it happen. What's something you want to accomplish this fine Saturday?

Well for one thing it is not a “fine” Saturday, it has been raining all morning and for most of the rest of the day. My goal for today is to make it to 9 o’clock tonight.

2) She sings that we've all been through some nasty weather. How has winter 2021/22 treated you thus far (weather wise)?

What winter?

The ponds were frozen over for less than 4 weeks, the snow covered the ground for less than a month. We had only about 2 weeks of really cold weather.

3) Best known as a recording artist, Gloria is also a best-selling author of children's books. When you were a kid, were you a big reader?

Nope. It wasn’t until college that a dorm mate turned me on to Science Fiction and Fantasy. 

4) In addition to music and writing, she's a linguist. As a college student, she supported herself as an English/French/Spanish translator at Miami International Airport. When were you most recently at an airport? Were you traveling yourself, or picking someone up/dropping them off?

It was March 31, 2006, I know because I wrote a blog about the trip on a corporate jet.

5) Gloria made her acting debut in 1999's Music of the Heart, a Meryl Streep movie about music teachers in Harlem. Did you have music classes in school? Have you ever taken private lessons?

Nope, I took band in junior high school and the band teacher told me that I might have talent elsewhere, but it definitely not playing a trumpet.

6) Today Gloria is one of the celebrity residents of Star Island, a man-made island in Biscayne Bay. Star Island is connected to the mainland by MacArthur Causeway, named for General Douglas MacArthur. Tell us about a street in your neighborhood, and who it's named for.

Well where I live now are all named after wines.

Where I grew up the roads were all named for his family members, the side road was named after his daughter who was in my class. She passed away a couple of years ago from life long complications from polio.

7) 1989, the year "Get on Your Feet" was popular, was the year of the first HDTV broadcast. By 1998, high-def shows and TVs were dominant. How many TVs are in your home? Do you watch shows on your computer or phone?

I have two TV and yes I do watch shows on my laptop, last night I watched Star Trek: Picard.

8) Also in 1989, The Simpsons premiered. It's now the longest-running prime-time TV show ever. Are you a fan?

No, it was after my generation. I was a fan of the Howdy Doody and the Mickey Mouse Club… the original Micky Mouse Club with Annette Funicello.

9) Random question: Should husbands wear their wedding rings?

Yes. My father did.

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend.

7 comments:

  1. I am sad that no one helped you to find a musical talent. If nothing else you could have tried the kazoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you think of Picard? This season is blowing my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then Simpsons are exactly my generation, and I never could stand to watch that show. I am not a fan of any of the adult cartoons. They are so weird.
    Roads named after wines! I like it. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is some amazingly shortened winter there!
    That's bitter sweet about your classmate living that long with the after effects of Polio. I hope the rest of her life experience had a lot of joy in it.
    The Simpsons seemed sort of clownlike to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She always had a smile on her.
      At the 50th high school reunion she was the first to greet Diana. She was at the door handing out the name tags

      Delete
  5. The Simpsons is most emphatically not a children's show. The humor is nothing like anything you saw on Mickey Mouse. Since you're an adult, it's "your generation."

    ReplyDelete