Saturday, February 08, 2020

Saturday 9: Two Divided by Love

Sam’s Saturday 9: Two Divided by Love (1971)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…



Unfamiliar with this week's song? You can hear it here.

1) Sam's teacher told her she'd use math every day. What's the last math problem you solved? (Did you add to/subtract from the balance of your checkbook ... use division to figure out how much you'd save with 25% off that sweater ...)
I was trying to figure out cut down a recipe from 4 to 1.

2) The lyrics tell us that if you take away the rain from a flower, the flower just won't grow. Do you have any indoor houseplants? Could they use a drink of water this morning?
They get watered on Sundays.
I am trying one of those watering bulbs so far I had mixed results in the two months that I have tried it so far. The problem was I inserted the bulb in a previous hole and the water drained out of the bulb, putting in a new hole each seems to work.

3) This week's artists, The Grass Roots, are introduced in this video by country music superstar Kenny Rogers. Who is your favorite country music singer?
I am not a fan of country music but some singers have crossed over to popular music.
Johnny Cash, Willy Nelson, Glen Campbell, and of course Kenny Rogers



4) The two unmarried members of the group -- guitarist Warren Entner and drummer Ricky Coonce -- competed for a lady's affection on a 1968 episode of The Dating Game. Neither of them won! She chose Bachelor #1. Anyway, have you ever appeared on a game show? Do you know anyone who has?
Nope and nope. But I have been on the Sunday’s talking heads shows.

5) The Grass Roots were originally called The 13th Floor. They chose this cheeky name because many high rises do not have a 13th floor since 13 is considered an unlucky number, and they were thumbing their noses at superstition. Are you superstitious?
Nope. Not one iota, knock on wood.

6) At the time of his death in 2011, group leader Rob Grill was still playing music, touring with a reconfigured Grass Roots. His widow Nancy referred to him as "one lucky son of a gun" because he'd been able to support himself as a musician, doing what he loved for 45 years. In what ways do you consider yourself fortunate?
Making it to my seventies. I told me brother he could get a tee shirt for my seventieth birthday “I survived the sixties.” But alas he didn’t.

7) In 1971, the year this song was released, Walt Disney World opened in Florida. The Epcot Center was added in 1982. Have you ever visited this, or any, Disney theme park?
Nope and once out of my teens I never wanted to go to any amusement park.

8) Fresh chicken was just 43¢/lb. in 1971. Do you prefer the breast or drumstick?
Breast.
I just made Chicken and Dumplings yesterday

9) Random question: Do you work well under pressure?
No. As I get old I try to avoid stressful situations, I don’t like drama.

7 comments:

  1. Good to know that bit of advice about the watering bulbs. Every time I see them advertised I think about getting a couple, but I just haven't been sure how they work since I've never seen anyone actually using them. That recipe sounds delicious for a cold winter weekend...it might just have to go on the menu for tonight or tomorrow. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a Glen Campbell fan, really, but there are records of his that I adore because\my uncle loved him, and so Glen Campbell reminds me of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but your t-shirt is so clever! I'm bummed yo u didn't get one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good time of year for chicken and dumplings. I liked a few of Glen Campbell's songs, I think Southern Nights was probably my favorite of his.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED the "knock on wood" comment....

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had chicken and dumplings last night too.
    I love Kenny Rogers! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your answer to 5 thanks for the laughs!
    I totally agree about the drama. no thanks!

    ReplyDelete