Saturday, February 22, 2020

Saturday 9: Buttons & Bows

Sam’s Saturday 9: Buttons & Bows (1948)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…



Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics extol the beauty of "rings and things and buttons and bows." When you're getting dressed, do you give much thought to accessorizing?
Nope, just earrings.

2) Dinah Shore sings that she doesn't want to live where the cactus hurts her toes. Sam can sympathize, as she has a blister on one of her toes from where her winter boots rub. Do you have any aches and pains to report this morning?
Ha! Ha!
I can talk all day about them, after all that’s what senior citizens do all day, talk about their aches and pains and their meds.

3) Dinah was such a popular entertainer that people were surprised to learn she earned a degree in sociology from Vanderbilt University. What is something we'd be surprised to know about you?
Hmm… after playing Saturday 9 for about fifteen years there is not a lot you don’t now about me. You even know that I can wiggle my noses and ears at the same time. You know that I’m an electrical engineer with a master’s in social work.

4) Dinah's was the best selling version of this song, which was introduced by Bob Hope in the movie The Paleface. Hope had success early in his career as a song-and-dance man on Broadway. Are you better at telling jokes, singing or dancing?
Lets see…
Dancing: you better watch out for your toes.
Singing: cover your ears
Joke telling: it might take me a couple of times to get the punchline right.

5) Both Bob and Dinah donated their time to entertaining the troops in WWII. It was during a USO tour that Dinah met and fell in love with actor George Montgomery, who was serving in the Air Force. They were married for 20 years and had two children. Their daughter followed her parents into show business and became an actress. If a young person asked you for career advice, what would you tell them?
Go into engineering, there is good money to be made.

6) Dinah was an avid golfer and even sponsored an LPGA tournament. She was also an excellent cook who hosted TV cooking segments. Which would you find more relaxing -- an afternoon on the golf course or in the kitchen?
The kitchen, I am not a fan of chasing a little white ball around in a golf cart.

7) In 1948, the year this record was a hit, Scrabble was introduced. Do you prefer word games, card games, board games or jigsaw puzzles?
Any of them except word games, if you are a horrible speller word games don’t make sense.

8) Also in 1948, LPs (33 1/3 rpm records) were introduced. Do you have any vinyl records in your home?
Ha, ha!
I grew up in the sixties, my turntable and stereo still work. Even though I tend to like online music and stripped CDs once in a while I like lay on the couch in from of the fire and put on a record.

9) Random question -- Which of these would you consider the greatest insult: to be called boring, untrustworthy or stupid?
Untrustworthy, I am trustworthy to a fault and guard my good name.

6 comments:

  1. #3 was tough for me, too. I'm pretty open here in the blogworld.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being trustworthy is very important to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, I used to hate it when my mom and Grandma would sit around and talk about their health problems and medications, but here I am doing the same thing. Hahahaha
    My nephew is a civil engineer. He absolutely loves it and he makes a very good living. You are right about that. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I visit my parents we compare our aches and pains--then we get into the fun conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, you are soooo right. Imagine a day at the nursing home. lol
    My husband had an employer offer to pay his way through Carnegie Mellon if he went to be an engineer. The only catch was that he'd have to stay with the employer for 5 years after he was done. My hubby took a pass...mostly because school just isn't his thing. He's very smart and probably does a lot of what the engineers do after a lifetime in construction, but the whole classroom thing just isn't for him. I get it, but it would have been nice. Carnegie Mellon for free....

    ReplyDelete