Saturday, November 17, 2018

Saturday 9: Sentimental Journey

Sam’s Saturday 9: Sentimental Journey (1945)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…



Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
This song brings back memories of my parents dancing and the look in each others eyes.

1) Doris sings that she has her bag packed. Tell us about your luggage. Is your bag easy to spot on the luggage carousel?
I used a rainbow colored ribbons.
For trip were I not flying (which is I travel) I have a duffel bag like these.

2) The release of this song coincided with VE Day, and so it meant a great deal to troops returning home from Europe. What song has sentimental value for you? Why?

It speaks this true... there is no need to worry about what you don't have control over.

3) As a young girl, Doris was passionate about dance. Concentrating in the studio and performing on stage helped distract her from heartache and embarrassment over her parents' divorce. When you want to escape from what's troubling you, what do you do?
Photography


4) Her dancing days came to an end when, at age 15, she was in a car accident and damaged her leg. During her recovery, she discovered how much she enjoyed singing with the radio, and was delighted to find others enjoyed hearing her. Tell us about a time you unexpectedly found happiness or success.
Getting my MSW
I’m glad that I became an electrical engineer but I found my happiness as a social worker in my retirement.

5) She moved from singer to actress in the late 1940s and was a major movie star for 25 years. She was paired with the most popular leading men of her time -- everyone from Clark Gable to Frank Sinatra to Rock Hudson. If you could share a kiss with any actor or actress, who would you choose?
I had a crush on Annette Funicello

6) 1968 was a terrible year for Doris. First, she suddenly became a widow. Then she discovered that her late husband and his business partner had squandered her money and she had to file for bankruptcy. Oh, wait! There's more! She also found that, in his role as her manager, her late husband had, without her knowledge, committed her to a weekly TV series. Do you have a 1968? What year you can point to and say, "Wow, I'm glad that's over"?
I think it will happen this New Year’s Eve… half down, half to go.

7) After retiring from show business, she became an advocate for animal welfare. She has said we should be more sensitive to the loneliness, sadness and guilt people feel when they lose a pet. Think of a time you were grieving. What words or gestures helped you through? Conversely, what's something no one should ever say to someone who is hurting?
I know how you feel.
No you don’t!

8) Doris' only child was her son, record producer Terry Melcher. Terry had a successful, years-long collaboration with The Beach Boys. Do you have a favorite Beach Boys song?
Wow, this is another of those questions that it’s really hard to pick just one.


9) Random question: What's one thing you've never done, but have always wanted to try?
Take a bare boat cruise something like one of these. But alas I doubt I ‘ll cross this one off my bucket list

5 comments:

  1. Look how happy you are in your cap and gown!

    And the sky in your photo looks just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful picture you posted with your photography answer!! Just gorgeous!
    The bare boat cruise sounds like fun! I hope you get to do it. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes--bare boating scares the bejeepers out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photo. And education is always good - never a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annette was a good one. She was so real too.

    ReplyDelete