Sunday, January 01, 2017

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes!

As I wrote this morning when we transition we go through some amazing changes. A mother wrote about the changes that her daughter went through as she transitioned.
7 unexpected things I learned from my transgender daughter
KUOW.org
By Marlo Mack
December 28, 2016

1) Gender matters, but I have no idea what it is
If a girl can wear anything she likes, and play sports and climb trees, and be a doctor or an astronaut or a senator … and if she can even have a “boy’s body,” what the heck is a girl? I honestly don’t know. But I do know this: It matters to me that I’m a girl. It matters to my daughter. And I bet your gender matters to you too.

2) Fear is inevitable, and fear is irrelevant
When your young son tells you he’s your daughter, you’ll imagine for her a lifetime of pain and tragedy, and you’ll be terrified, and you probably should be. But you will push blindly forward anyway, wielding love against the impossible, because that’s what your child needs you to do. So you do.


4) Being different is hard
It’s easy to tell your child, “Be yourself, you’re special.” But your child doesn’t want to be special if it means they are a category of one. We ALL need a tribe
The article goes on to say that people are “cool,” before transitioning my biggest fear was being laughed at and harassed but I learned quickly that 99.999% of the people really don’t care, that they are cool with me.

The next two points that she makes is that we have been around forever, that only in the last decade we came out of the closet and that raising girls are no different than raising boys. I have to say that I don’t think it is true, I can’t say definitively because I never had children but I have seen my brother and his children and I can notice a difference in raising boys and girls.

She writes,
I should know, because I’ve done both with the same child. You change pronouns, pick out a new name, and buy a different set of clothes, but you still see before you the child who always was, and she is bigger than any gender: She is a person
Yes, that is true, but boys seem to be more competitive, always trying to outdo each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment