Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Being Forced Out Of The Closet

Most of us get to pick the time and place that we come out, but for some it is forced on them. Sometimes with deadly consequences, let’s hope that this is not the case with the latest Wachowski to come out.
Second Wachowski Sibling Comes Out as Transgender
Variety
By Alex Stedman
March 8, 2016

The second Wachowski sibling of “The Matrix” trilogy has come out as a transgender woman, with Andy Wachowski, now going by the name Lilly, making an announcement on Tuesday.

Lilly’s sister and directing partner, Lana, came out as transgender years ago. In a statement to Windy City News, Lilly said she was at risk of being outed by the media.

According to her statement, Lilly was approached by a reporter at U.K. outlet the Daily Mail, who asked Lilly if she could “have my picture taken and tell my story which was so inspirational!”
Many of us just live our lives in anonymity, only a close circle of friends know about us being trans, but being forced out of the closet can bring all types of emotional pain and many of us make the ultimate decision.

The article goes on to say,
Shortly after the announcement, GLAAD director of programs for transgender media Nick Adams issued a statement celebrating the news and cautioning the media in its coverage: “GLAAD is thrilled that Lilly Wachowski is able to be her true and authentic self today, however, she should not have been forced to disclose her transgender identity before she was ready to do so. Journalists must learn that it is unacceptable to out a transgender person, in the same way it is unacceptable to out a person who is gay, lesbian, or bisexual.”
The article has a statement by Lilly, it reads in part…
My sister Lana and I have largely avoided the press. I find talking about my art frustratingly tedious and talking about myself a wholly mortifying experience. I knew at some point I would have to come out publicly. You know, when you’re living as an out transgender person it’s … kind of difficult to hide. I just wanted—needed some time to get my head right, to feel comfortable.

But apparently I don’t get to decide this.

After he had given me his card, and I closed the door it began to dawn on me where I had heard of the Daily Mail. It was the “news” organization that had played a huge part in the national public outing of Lucy Meadows, an elementary school teacher and trans woman in the UK. An editorial in the “not-a-tabloid” demonized her as a damaging influence on the children’s delicate innocence and summarized “he’s not only trapped in the wrong body, he’s in the wrong job.” The reason I knew about her wasn’t because she was transgender it was because three months after the Daily Mail article came out, Lucy committed suicide.
Let us hope that Lilly can handle the stress of being outed.

Long before Caitlyn Jenner came out the media had a field day with articles about her. Christine Daniels came out the press hounded her until she went back into the closet and later took her own life. When celebrities transition it is particularly hard on them and sometimes the community can also be brutal on them. And sometimes we are the ones who pay a high price for the "Freedom of the Press."

No comments:

Post a Comment