Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Love Of Parents (Part 3 of 4)

When I was growing I used to dream what I thought was the “Impossible Dream” but there are now children who no longer have to dream. Science is finally catching up and realizing what we realized all along, that we know our gender long before we know our orientation. Doctors are realizing that it is much better to let the child explore their gender identity than to hold them to a ridged binary. They have developed protocols to allow the child to discover themselves.

The children are all so full with life and I have had the honor to know a number of children who have transitioned, they and their parents are truly remarkable. One parent is Priscilla who gave me permission to publish this letter that she wrote…
Dear Son,

More than a decade ago my body started changing to accommodate for your life. As you developed in my womb, I could sense that you were someone special. That Feeling grew stronger and stronger everyday. When I held your tiny body the first time I knew you were going to change the world.

Son, I dressed you in pigtails and polka dots and paraded you around like a princess and you never complained. I was so proud of my beautiful baby who always wore a smile and gave such special hugs. Your arms held such a beautiful energy that their embrace was a gift. A gift of love and happiness. Yet, I truly had no clue what a gift your life would turn out to be.

I remember the day when, with one of your hugs, you shared a secret. A Secret you had held for your first seven years of life. This secret I unknowingly forced you to keep with every stroke of the hairbrush I used to create those beautiful pigtails. A secret forced to be kept with every polka-dot dress. I just assumed that because of the appearance of your body at birth that these cute and frilly things were something you liked and wanted. You were always so happy.

I am forever grateful that you shared your secret with me at such a young age. The heaviness of a secret of this magnitude would have worn you down. It had the potential to break your spirit and change your incredibly positive energy into something equally dark.

Now, with your secret shared, I am able to watch you grow into a fine young gentleman, I am in awe. You are a power house of love, compassion, patience and understanding. You are not carrying the heavy burden of society's expectations. Sharing your secret has opened up the world to you. You are free to be the man you long to be.

I have learned more from watching you grow than any book or school could teach me...and it has been only ten years!
I am excited when I think of your future, not only for you but also for those with whom you share yourself with. You are going to make an incredible change in this world. ... I know. You have with me.

Son, I respect the power of who you are.
I am proud to be your mom and love you deeply, completely without condition and I thank you for this ability. It is a gift you have given me.

Love, Mom




No comments:

Post a Comment