Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Love Of Parents (Part 1 of 4)

When I was a child I could only dream, I learned at an early age that it was something never mentioned. My parents would never have understood back then, nor would have the doctors. If I was found out, I have no idea what would have been done to me, electroconvulsive therapy? A mental hospital? Who knows?

Only adults were allowed to transition and you had to give up everything, family, friends, your job, and move away to start a new life. The gatekeepers (the doctors) had ridged ideas for those that they accepted, you had to be able to integrate in to society, you had to be attracted to men, and only then would they give you the magic elixir, hormones. No way would they let a child transition, you would probably be arrested if you let your child explore their gender identity.

When I was exploring coming out in the late 90s and the early 2000s some doctors where just starting treat children. I remember going to workshops at the “Children from the Shadows” conference where therapist told parents to keep a book of all your doctor visits and medical files just in case someone reported you to the police and DCF came to your home.

A lot has changed in those years.

Unconditional Love: Journey with Our Transgender Child : Christy Hegarty at TEDxBloomington

No comments:

Post a Comment