Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Story Part 60 – Generations

You all have seen those kids with the purple hair and piercing all over or heard that music that goes boom…boom…boom. What did think? Was it “Kids! What have they become!” or something to that effect. Yeah, at one time I thought that myself, but I was wrong.

One time I was shopping for a Christmas present (before I transitioned) for my brother at Sears’ tool department. I forget exactly what it was that I was looking for, but I was bent over looking at all the tools and this young sales woman with reddish, purplish hair and piercing asked if she could help me. I described to her what I wanted and she picked a tool off the rack and asked if this was what I was looking for. I told it was, but not quite. She said that she knew just what I was looking for and they had some in the backroom. She came back with about a half a dozen, showed me one and restocked the rack with rest of them. When she was ringing up the item, the floor manager was standing scowling at her and I said to him that she was a great help finding what I wanted, unlike those guys and I point to a bunch of salesmen standing around talking with their arms folded.

Before I was laid off, the kids in the shop played rap music all day long. One day I was walking by where they worked and this song came on, I stopped to listen and I liked the song, and the employee told me the name of the group and the song. I forgot about the group and I think if I remember, I would have bought their CD.

So, what does this have to do with me being transgender? Well it is this; don’t judge a book by its cover. Before you criticize someone, get to know them, you might be surprised and find a person underneath the cover.

1 comment:

  1. So true Diana, we all make that kind of mistake so often.

    ReplyDelete