Friday, May 11, 2007

What does it mean to have “Gender Identity Disorder”?

The medical model is: you will transition, have surgery, blend in and be your true gender, you will happily ever after.

But unfortunately life isn't always that simple. The medical model is great if you can pass and blend into society, but for us who will never pass for one reason or another life is really hard. If you do not transition your life is miserable because you can never be yourself and if you do transition your life is still miserable because of society's pressures but at least you can live you own life as yourself.
If all goes as planned, I should begin my transition the end of next month. That means…
Telling my neighbors;
Telling my gardener;
Telling my banker;
Telling the Town Hall Clerk;
Telling the Auto Dealer when I have my car serviced;
Telling…
It is a never ending list.

You will always be known as “That transsexual guy” and heads will always turn as you walk by and elbows will poke friends with a nod in your direction and giggling will be heard as you walk by.

I always got to class early and there would be about three or four other students there early. One day, one of the students noticed other students poking their heads in the door, that went on for six or seven times and the students in my class commented about it. Wondering what they were doing, for me it was obvious; they were looking for the Trannie. When I told them what it was they were aghast that other social work students would do that, but they all realized that I was right.

That’s what it means to have GID.

Being Gay is Soo much easier. But unfortunately we do not have a choice in the way we were born.

As you can tell I had a down day today.

3 comments:

  1. You are right,we cannot choose who we are. I'm sorry that you had such a hard day.

    I can't imagine how hard it is, telling everyone. You've come so far- remember that and stay proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, Diana. How discouraging. Life really is a lot like Junior High School....

    You are doing the right thing, and the people who matter to you are the only ones who count. So far it sounds like they are supportive. Hold on tight to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you cannot pass? Maybe. But I used to think there was absolutely no way I would either, not for a nanosecond.

    Wait till you've been on HRT for at least 2 years, FFS, and some voice training. I bet you'll look better than I do - and I have no problems.

    Look at this photo.

    That was me, 3 weeks before transition started, 3 months before going fulltime. 2 years and 1 month ago.

    I think you will do fine.

    ReplyDelete