Sunday, September 03, 2006

On the Lighter Side

With all of the editorializing I have been doing, I decide to lighten up.
I was watching CBS Sunday Morning this morning and they had a piece on Drive-In theaters and it made me nostalgic. I remember when drive-ins were everywhere, on the Berlin Turnpike there used to be three drive-ins (Berlin, Pike and Newington theaters) and one by one they died until there was none. Just last month they tore down the last one to build condos, the theater was over grown with weeds, the screen was covered in graffiti and had many wholes in it, but it held many of memories of growing up. I shed a tear as drove by as they were tearing it down.
When I was little my family use to go to a drive-in once or twice a month during the summer. My brother and I use to go down to the play area before the movie started and ten rush back to the car at the start of the movie. I remember as I got older going on dates to the drive-in and in winter we went to the drive-ins that heaters to put in your car (Who cared if the windows fogged up.). When you went with your friends we always drew straws to see who would have to hide in the trunk and we brought in a six pack or two of beer for each of us.
I think the kids today are missing out, it was a place to bring families, it was a place to go on a date to be alone and it was place to go and have fun.

1 comment:

  1. We don't have any drive-ins left around here. I used to go all of the time when I was a kid. I just don't think kids today see the appeal of it. They want to sit in cozy air-conditioned theater seats.

    ReplyDelete