Friday, September 15, 2006

Maine Weekend

I am going up to my cousin’s cottage in Maine on the Columbus weekend in October with my brother and sister-in-law. My cousin has a cottage just south of Arcadia National Park; it is about a six hour drive from my house. My cousin will be there with their three kids and their families making it a full house. Also my other cousin might be there with his girlfriend.
I am rather dreading going up there not because everyone will be there but because I have to come out to them about me being trans. It is something I have to do if I am going to transition, I have to tell them. It is not something that they may not notice me walking-in in a dress; I think that when I transition they just might notice a little difference in me.
Oh, how I hate doing this, I dread this more than any thing else, standing up in front of family and telling them. I imagine it feels like an alcoholic standing up in front of an AA meeting and saying you’re an alcoholic or telling your family that you have a fatal disease.
Also my cousin is a devote Catholic..

3 comments:

  1. I got all excited for you going to Maine--I love Maine!!--until I read the rest of your post. My thoughts and prayers are with you, for soothing and understanding on both sides. I can imagine what effect this discussion would have in my own slightly freaky family, so...
    ...just know there are people in your corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a huge move. I wish you the best and am very proud of the step that you are taking. If you have any books or articles, I might suggest that you bring them with you -- only so that they can take the time needed to absorb this and see that you (and they) are not unique to this.

    I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a big step. I hope it goes well for you and you are able to enjoy your weekend. Sending positive thoughts your way...

    ReplyDelete