Saturday, August 12, 2023

Saturday 9: Diana

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Legend has it that Paul Anka wrote this song about his favorite babysitter. In your younger days, did you make a little extra money as a sitter?
Nope I never was a baby sitter.

2) Paul sings he doesn't care what "they" say about his love for an older girl. Have you ever had a romantic relationship that your friends or family didn't approve of?
Nope.

3) Paul was once a choirboy, singing with the St. Elias Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral choir in Ontario. Have you ever performed with your church choir?
Nope.

4) When Paul was 15, he left Ontario to find fame and fortune in New York. He had $100 in his pocket, a gift from his uncle. Tell us about someone in your life who who believed in you and encouraged you.
My first boss, he told me to leave the company…
And he left and took my resume with him. I was hired by the company he went to and worked there for 28 years.

5) Paul seldom gets credit for one of his most familiar compositions: the theme to The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Since Johnny retired in 1992, The Tonight Show has been hosted by Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, and Jimmy Fallon. Which of these Tonight Show hosts is your favorite?
Ha! I’m lucky to make it past 9 o’clock. Even in my younger days I never watched those show, I had to be at work at 7 AM.

6) In 1978, Paul Anka hired Las Vegas' first female bartender for his restaurant, Jubilation. Where did you most recently dine out?
Van Rensselaer's in Wellfleet.
I like it because it is just down the road with plenty of free parking and they have a good selection of food.

7) In 1957, when "Diana" was a hit, Wham-O began producing Frisbees. The toy was a massive success, even outselling the hula hoop. Do you enjoy tossing a Frisbee? 
Nope.
Too much like work chasing it around.

8) Also in 1957, the book Peyton Place was made into a blockbuster film. Book lovers often say that, no matter what, the movie is never as good as the book. Do you think that's true?
Yes, I think it is because of your imagination, the movie is never like you imagined it.

9) Random question: This Saturday, the treat's on Sam. Will you have buttered popcorn, caramel corn or cheese popcorn?
Yes, yes, and yes. Why pick just one? Give me all of them!
Every Christmas my techs gave me a great big tin (I mean BIG!) of popcorn with those three flavors. I used to put it out for everyone in the shop. And you could usually find me with a cup of popcorn at my desk.



The continuing saga of my washing machine.

We began this epic adventure when my old washer of 31 years started leaking like a sieve last month, meanwhile the laundry was piling up.

In last weeks episode we saw the delivery canceled at the last and an eleven o'clock at night phone call to reschedule the delivery! This week's exciting adventure with them was the delivery of the washer only to find out the next day that it is leaking! Stay tuned for next week's exciting adventure when the repair man comes out to fix it!

I'm using it but with only small loads, the puddle it makes is small enough to mop up. But with a full load it is a gusher!


5 comments:

  1. My kids look forward to the popcorn tins too. They loved the Christmas Story Tin and I like the Snoopy one. Caramel in my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to be at work at 7:00 also. I go to bed early...but in the summer I sometimes try to catch some shows. I didn't this summer though.
    Oh no. I hope you have your washing machine working soon! I hate it when my washer or dryer are not working. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been enjoying staying up very late this summer vacation. It's going to be a challenge to get back into my school sleep schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the washing machine saga sounds horrible. It is always a pain when things don't work properly.

    ReplyDelete