Friday, August 23, 2019

I Remember

Well I got my rain.

On a scale of 1 to 10 this thunderstorm was a 4 or a 4.5, one bolt struck 3 seconds away so it was less than a mile away. The “Crack!” bought back memories of our New Hampshire lake cottage. Sitting out on the deck around sunset I could see a thunderstorm forming off in the distance.

I watched the clouds from an anvil in the setting sun… this is going to be a big one!

Not too long did I have to wait to see lightning in the clouds and then the very faint distant thunder, slowly in moved toward our lake, lightning was hitting the backside of Mt. Sunapee… then it was over the mountain on the other side of the lake. I watched the lightning hit the tops of the mountains and then the wind picked up… time to get inside!

The birds went silent, they knew what was coming.

The lightning was hitting the water and the lake lit up with green flash. It was so close now every flash caused the landline phone to ding,

I got on a stool in the middle of the living room with my feet off the floor.

Then the sailboat next door got a purple halo around the mast!  St. Elmo's Fire!!!!

Then a sharp buzzing sound of the St. Elmo's Fire passing overhead… BOOM! Window rattling boom.

It must have hit somewhere up on the hill. The clouds passed and the setting sun came out, lighting the undersides of the clouds with a brilliant orange and the birds sang again.

No comments:

Post a Comment