Monday, December 17, 2018

I Hope He’s Convicted

I say that because Michigan doesn’t prohibit trans/gay panic defense and there is a good chance he might use that as his defense.
Pastor charged for murder of transgender woman
Fox2
By: FOX 2 Staff
December 11, 2018

DETROIT (FOX 2) - After Jessica Williams Stough's child, Kelly Stough, who was transgender, was killed in Detroit, she has been spreading the message that every life has meaning.

"You keep fighting, keep pushing and live your life," she said. "Don't let the world dictate how you should live."
[…]
On Dec. 7 police say Stough's path crossed with Albert Weathers. Stough was found shot to death on E. McNichols and Brush Street during the early morning hours. Weathers, a Detroit pastor, was arrested for the murder.
I say that the pastor is likely to plea trans panic defense because as a pastor I think he will use that to say that he had a mental lapse when he murder him.

There is only something like seven states that ban trans/gay panic defense and Connecticut is not one of them and that has to be changed.



Not trans but important…
CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIANS WANT TO STOP KIDS MEDITATING AT SCHOOL
By Katherine Hignett
December 15, 2018

Conservative Christian watchdog group The American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ) has launched a petition to stop “forced Buddhist meditation” in schools.

The group claims children in public schools across the U.S. are being “indoctrinated” by “Buddhist-based mindfulness methods in an “outright unconstitutional” practice. But companies behind the programs say their techniques can help improve self-awareness and self-control.

“We’re launching a multifaceted legal campaign including representing parents of these students, sending demand letters, state FOIA requests, and if necessary, litigation,” the petition reads.

Launched Wednesday, it has garnered almost 50,000 signatures on the evangelical group’s website as of 7.30 a.m. ET Saturday.

The group accuses schools in at least 12 states of "forcing" students to listen to mindfulness audio tapes, including those produced by Inner Explorer, Mind Up, and Dialectic Behavior Therapy.
OMG they’re meditating… the roots of all evil!

This is how wrapped the conservative Christians are; sitting in a quiet room and relaxing is not a religion. It is not Buddhist, it is not Hindu, it is not any religion but these conservative Christians see evil in everything.

I don’t meditate, I don’t do yoga but I don’t try to stop others from doing it.



This morning I’m at a meeting on healthcare and long term care for seniors, I want to make sure that our voice is heard about our concerns.

3 comments:

  1. Aside from your important commentary about trans/gay panic defense, this story is presented in a way that is so frustrating to me. To start, the opening sentence, as it's incorrectly written, implies that the dead person has been "spreading the message." Also, it says that Kelly was transgender - not a transgender woman, a transgender man, or even a transgender non-binary person. It goes on to quote the mother (the one who is really spreading the message), who uses male pronouns to describe her (son, daughter?). The reporter still does not attempt to clarify. Only from the reference that Kelly received a football scholarship and the accompanying photo can one make the assumption that Kelly was a transgender woman. We can only really assume, though.

    Not to minimize the tragedy that this death certainly is, but I wish there were a way for us to spread the news to the media on how to use more clarity when reporting about us. Then, again, there are many of us who do not do such a great job of clarifying, either. I have yet to hear any transgender person adequately describe themselves so that a cis person could really have an understanding. Not only does, as they say, meeting a trans person mean that you have met just one trans person, we don't even all speak the same language in describing ourselves.

    Thanks, Diana, for allowing me to rant. I consider myself to be a good ambassador for the trans community, acting in a genuine way so as to try to eliminate any ambiguity or misconception. It seems, though, that I often have to combat preconceptions that have been perpetuated by the media (and, even sometimes, by other trans people). Gender dysphoria is difficult enough to deal with; information dysphoria can often be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FABULOUSCONNIEDEE
    It’s hard to get the proper terminology across to reporters. I have been interview many times and its pot luck, some reporters “get it,” some don’t want to “get it,” and some reporters get very defensive when you try to tell them to check with the AP Stylebook or the GLAAD Media Reference Guide.

    I had one reporter get very defensive tell us we can’t tell him what to write, finally we were able to get a word in and say that we just wanted to say consult the AP Stylebook… he eventually got it and used the proper words and terms.

    They don’t teach about in journalism school and except for newspapers and television reporters each reporter is usually an independent writing individuals stories.

    If you ever do get interviewed for TV here is a tip… think in sound bits, they will probably only use one or two sentences unless it is an in-depth interview.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave up the fight of keeping the word, transgender, an adjective a long time ago. I knew that it was a losing battle when Oprah, while interviewing a transgender woman, asked when she began "transgendering." My theory is that it's use as a noun and verb (even an adverb) stems from the fact that it ends with the "er." Still, I will often correct people after they have referred to me as a "transgender." Doing so implies that I am one who "transgends" or who has "transgended." They might as well say I am "transgenderized" or "transgenderated." As ridiculous as those implications may sound, they are all just as wrong as is the use of "transgender" in a noun or verb form. At least, the use of "trans" softens the blow somewhat. Don't even get me started on "transgenderism." What does that even mean?

      I don't know what they are teaching in journalism school these days, but I think it's not as much as what I learned about writing when I was in junior high. The proper use of words, grammar, and context really are important. A writer may have all the best intentions to report the truth, but the truth can be lost if it is not communicated properly. Beyond that, I'm sure that there is a fair number of those who are just lazy or incompetent. There are also those reporters who want to sensationalize in order to get more "hits." Quantity over quality, I believe is what that is called.

      As you can tell, I don't think or write in sound bites. I will heed your advice if I should ever be interviewed, though. I totally understand what you mean.

      Delete