Saturday, April 02, 2016

Saturday 9: Fool on the Hill


Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Fool on the Hill (1967)  

Every Saturday I take time off from written on serious topics to have some fun…

Unfamiliar with today's song? We can't help you. The YouTube copyright police have removed the Beatles' version.

1) Friday was April Fool's Day. Did you pull any pranks? Did anyone put anything over on you?
Nope, but then again I haven’t received the estimate to fix my deck yet, I had a builder out yesterday to give me an estimate so I might get my April Fool’s joke in a couple of days.

2) The practice of playing tricks on one another on April 1 dates back at least to the 14th century and Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales includes a mention of it. Geoffrey Chaucer has been called England's greatest poet. Quote a bit of poetry for us. (It doesn't have to be English, or great.)

Lady in the Mirror
Heart skips a beat.
    Stomach flutters.
         Breath is lost.
I see me.
    I am whole.
          I am one.

This was my first attempt at poetry.

3) Beatle Paul is a huge Elvis fan and is happy to own the bass that was played on Elvis' 1954 recording of "That's All Right, Mama." Tell us about one of your prized possessions. 
My camera.

4) In contrast to his easygoing persona, Sir Paul has been described by former band mate Ringo Starr as strong willed and "determined to get his own way." Do you consider yourself strong willed and determined? Or are you more easy going?
I am more easy going, I think as you get older you get more easy going, you seen so much that you know life will go on.

5) The Beatles once bought a Greek island, planning to live and record there, but sold it after a few months because it started to seem like a bad, expensive idea. Tell us about a purchase that gave you buyer's remorse. 
A lens it was a 500mm f8 lens that was totally worthless… anyone want to buy it?

6) Legend has it that the Beatles officially broke up in Disney World. John Lennon was staying at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort when he received and signed the court papers that dissolved the group. Have you ever conducted business while on vacation?
Well that is hard to answer because if I did work while on vacation then it wasn’t really a vacation. The real answer is yes and I was mad that I got the call; I was almost ready to change my timesheet to add 2 hours of work.

7) George Harrison loved puttering around in the garden and dedicated his autobiography to "gardeners everywhere." Do you have a green thumb?
No, I have a black thumb.

8) Ringo regrets not having saved more Beatles memorabilia, which he realizes now would be worth a fortune. Are you a pack rat?  
Not really, I don’t keep things to hoard them, I’m just too lazy to throw anything out. But I’m hoping that I turned over a new leaf.

9) Random question: Which do you prefer, Girl Scout cookies or Boy Scout popcorn?
Girl Scout cookies, the Boy Scouts still discrimination. They still don’t allow transgender boys into their ranks while the Girl Scouts are open to all girls.

7 comments:

  1. Every word of your answer to #8 could be me. Except for books and photos, I don't hang on to things just to hang on to them. But I am both lazy and thoughtless. So I absentmindedly have accummulated A LOT of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Boy Scouts have been far less opened minded on many issues than the Girl Scouts have been...hmmm, interesting!
    I'm hoping for the more easy going as I age...it hasn't happened yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that the boy scouts had loosened up a bit- certainly not as much as they could of course. They had an interesting South Park about that a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was wrong with the camera lens? A 500mm sounds like a good long lens. Hard to hold, maybe? Not good in low light?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, it is a very slow lens and all manual focus and aperture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That lens sounds like a wrist breaker if it's all manual, slow, etc. What a fiddly thing!

    I loved your poem.

    The boy scouts can't seem to change. Administrative Fear, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #8 is the perfect answer!

    ReplyDelete