Saturday, February 20, 2016

Saturday 9: Sixteen Tons

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Sixteen Tons (1955)

Every Saturday I take time off from written on serious topics to have some fun…

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
I love this song sung by Tennessee Ernie Ford

1) 16 tons = 32,000 pounds, because there are 2,000 lbs. to a ton. Without looking it up, do you know how many ounces are in a pound?
Yes, everyone should know this. Okay I got one for you, how many feet per second is sixty miles an hour*. In other words if you are driving 60 mph and you glance for 1 second at the radio to see the name of the song how many feet have you gone?

2) The singer describes himself as having "a mind that's weak and a back that's strong." Think about yourself. Which feels more powerful today, your body or your brain?
My brain, I exercise it more than my body.

3) The poor chap in this song has money troubles. Are you good at sticking to your budget?
I don’t have any budget. I know how much income I have every month and I just make sure that I don’t spend beyond that every month.

4) Tennessee Ernie Ford snapped his fingers as he recorded this song. It's been said that while it's possible to snap your fingers of both hands, the noise is louder with your "dominant hand." (So if you're a rightie, the finger snap will be louder with your right hand.) Try it yourself. Did you find this to be true?
Nope. I’m left handed but we live in a right hand world so I can snap my fingers equally on both hands, maybe my right hand is a little louder than my left.

5) Mr. Ford appeared as "Cousin Ernie" in three episodes of I Love Lucy. What's your all-time favorite sitcom?
Oh there are so many great sitcoms that there is not just one favorite.  Barney Miller, All in the Family, Cheers, M*A*S*H, Mork and Mindy… how can you name just one?

6) Tennessee Ernie took the money he made from his performing career and invested in a California cattle ranch. Think back to the last beef you ate. How was it prepared?
Beef Stroganoff (without the mushrooms). It sounds fancy but it is easy to make.

7) Mr. Ford passed away at age 72 in 1991. That year, Dr. Seuss also died. What's your favorite Dr. Seuss book?
Horton Hears A Who

8) Gene Roddenberry also died that year. Mr. Roddenberry is best known as the creator of Star Trek. Who is your favorite Star Trek character?
Wow, I hate these type of questions. It is like when someone asks you who is your best friend all your other friends get mad at you because you didn’t pick them. Now how can you name just one? Captain Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov there were all great.

9) Random question: We're having smoothies. What's your favorite?
Believe it or not I never had a smoothie. If I am ordering something like a smoothie I much rather have a chocolate milk shake (or for you in other areas around the country frappe)

*88 ft/sec. That conversion was hammered into my head in engineering school.  When you think in ft/sec when you are driving it kind of sinks in how fast you are going when you change your radio station so if you are going 75 you are approximately going 30% fast than 60 so 30% of 88 ft/sec is 114 ft/sec.

7 comments:

  1. I had a hard time choosing a sitcom. You've listed my favorites, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'll bite. Is the answer to #1 100 yards?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have had no idea of how to answer your math question. Beef Strogonof is very good, haven't had it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had a hard time choosing just one sit-com, but finally settled on the one I watch every weekday when I'm cooking dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That driving question should strike fear into the hearts of everyone who chooses, stupidly, to text and drive... I hope it gives a few people pause today!

    Never watched Star Trek, so most of your names are unfamiliar to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answers.. right there with you with M*A*S*H :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete