Thursday, December 17, 2015

Christmas On The Rocks

I remember when, I used to be scared of going out in public, it was only fifteen years that I came out and a lot has changed since then.

Back in 2001 I wrote this on my on Geocities blog
Afterwards, we went out to eat at a small Mexican restaurant. Those of you who have been following this site know that every venture out is a new adventure for me. Going to the theater performance wasn’t bad because it was a TG friendly environment, however we were the only TG there. But, the restaurant was very public. We got a few stares and raised eyebrows, but we were left alone.
Last night we went to a five star restaurant in Hartford, Max Downtown and my only concern was the price. The food was excellent, I had Roasted Berkshire Pork Chop (Chive-potato rosti, port wine-braised cabbage, apple mustard) and it was cooked the way I liked it.

After dinner we walked over to Theater Works to see the play “Christmas on the Rocks.” The theater is down under an office building and is, I wouldn’t say very small, but rather quaint or intimate. In the old days I would be worried about how people would react to trans people, now it was that I would have to go up the long flight of stairs.

After the play we walked back to the garage and that was more of an adventure than anything last night. It was after nine when we left the theater and I didn’t know how to get into the parking garage. The doors on Pearl St. to the lobby were locked with a sign that said use the entrance on Asylum Ave; we walked around the building and found the doors also locked. I pressed a button on what looked like an intercom and a voice came out of it asking what we wanted and I said to get to in the parking garage and he buzzed us in. Then the really fun part was finding the way out of the garage, it was not marked clearly.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is no longer an issue going out trans, it is not an adventure going out trans but the rather what you do is the adventure. Seeing the play and going to a fine restaurant. Or the movie, or whatever you are doing that you have turned the corner when being trans is not on your mind at all.

1 comment:

  1. There were transwomen in our party last night??? All I saw were women!

    ReplyDelete