Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Story Part 75 – Getting To Be Known

There is a down side to being an activist it is that Google sees all, Google knows all.

If I ever applied for a job and they did a quick search of Google there will be two facts that emerge from the search. One that I am trans and the other is that I am an activist. There is no hiding my past.

I attended a Campaign School a couple of weeks back and the woman who gave Friday’s presentation talked about having any internet baggage to worry about if you ran for office. My answer was yes, I have tons of it. I was at a meeting one day when a man came up to me and said to me, that he was so amazed with my story of my transition. It turned out he read my interview with the Gay and Lesbian chamber of commerce, the Connecticut Alliance for Business Opportunities.

I was at the deli counter at my local supermarket and the woman who waited on me said that she saw me on television. She saw the interview that I gave on WTNH news. A journalist student saw the interview and she was able to track down my email address and request an interview for a capstone paper that she was writing for class.

The moral to this story is, if you are going to be active in anything, guard you name and who you tell it to, because in this age of the internet you will lose your privacy. One of the things about this blog, you will never find my last name anywhere on it and if someone wants to contact me, I give them my cell number because it does not have my caller ID and my last name displayed.

1 comment:

  1. Hi diana, out of curiosity I found your blog and see that you have a lot of activity, I'm here trying to put a blog about some land I want to sell and I thought to put a blog on this land, then it was investigating how to travez here maps to Google Earth to locate these areas, he finally began to click and I was looking at blogs and I found yours and your comments about privacy, then and was thinking about how to work this but my mail is in many places, so many good ones and my nickname and I've written one or another point of view and thought about it, that they may know who I am and then as I think, except that after I enter chat rooms and Here I have an occasional cyber adventure and then thought about how bad can this be for me but anyway, just wanted to say something until then.

    ReplyDelete