Sunday, March 29, 2009

The COS Banquet

Last night was the annual Connecticut Outreach Society’s Banquet. We had guests from all of the neighboring state of Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New York attend, our banquet is the only banquet in the southern New England area. We try to keep the price low since we do not want to make a profit off the banquet, we just want to give our members a safe night out where they can dress-up, dance and enjoy themselves. For many of our members and guests this is the only time that they are able to do that. We had an average turnout of around fifty people, which I thought was very good considering the economy.
Our guest speaker last night was Anne Stanback. She is “a LGBT rights activist and the founder and Executive Director of Love Makes a Family (LMF), which is a statewide non-profit advocacy organization working for gender equality and marriage equality in Connecticut.
On October 18, 2006, she was inducted into the Connecticut Women's Hall of Fame for her work as a social justice activist on behalf of the gay, lesbian community, bisexual and transgender communities.
Anne has received numerous awards for her work on behalf of women and the LGBT community including: the Harriet Tubman Award for Achievement in the Pursuit of Social Justice from the National Organization for Women (CT NOW), 2002.

I left early, around 10:30 and from the reports that I got this morning the banquet was still going strong at 1:00am.

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry to miss the banquet... i hope to get to COS events soon..I attended Halloween once in 2005
    deborah sawyer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to miss the banquet... i hope to get to COS events soon..I attended Halloween once in 2005
    deborah sawyer

    ReplyDelete
  3. The party lasted until 1pm Sunday so I am told... I was home by 2 am Sunday after closing down with the Djs at about 1AMish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lasted until 12:30 AM.

    As usual, COS does great banquets and I had an excellent time at the big bash.

    Thank you for helping to organize it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew, I wouldn't make it until 1:30 either! I love the color you're wearing in that picture. Is it from that night? You look great.

    ReplyDelete