Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Continuing Saga of My Foray into Politics

I have been working the phone banks at the Ned Lamont’s campaign office once a week for two hours at a time. I started off just doing it to be visible but now I am starting to get the excitement of working for a candidate.

Yesterday, I went to a fundraiser given by NOW for him, boy did I feel out of my league. There was the former Governor Wicker’s wife and a lot of other big wigs attending along with the media. Following the candidate everywhere he went were the video crews and reporters fighting to get close to him. When I was introduced to Ned Lamont they must had briefed him that I was working for him because he thanked me for helping out, so I guess my work (Being a visible Trannie) is paying off.

I did some good networking, met the president of Love Makes a Family and also the Vice President of NOW. I got interviewed by NPR, that was a first, having a microphone shoved in my face. The attendees were 99% woman with a couple of men and two trannies. The friend I was with was a lot better at working the crowd than I was, she was the one who broke the ice with people. Something I have never managed to be able to do, walk up to someone and make conversation. That is how we got to talk to the Vice President of NOW and thanking her for NOW support of the Anti-discrimination legislation.

One thing that I did notice that struck me funny, a good number of the people there had cell phone cameras. While the candidate and the other speakers were talking you see all these cell phones being held up taking pictures. The woman standing in front of me was taking a movie or sending live video with her phone.

Here is the Hartford Courant article about yesterday’s fundraiser.

1 comment: