Friday, July 21, 2006

3x Thursday:

3x Thursday:

1. Since you're not a kid anymore, do you miss having a Summer Vacation? Why/why not?
No I don’t miss having the summer off; I think I would get bored now. I remember complaining to my mom around the end of August, “There’s nothing to do.”
Having more vacation time definitely.

2. What did 'Summer Vacation' mean to you as a kid? What was a typical summer like?
Playing in the woods in the back of our house, swimming in the brook by the dairy and then getting fresh ice cream at the dairy ice cream bar, riding our bikes into town ( well actually coasting down to town and walking our bikes back home, it was about 2 ½ miles all down hill to town which meant it was 2 ½ mile up hill to get home. ) and catching fireflies.

3. Did your family ever take trips together in the summer, or some other sort of summer tradition?
When I was little my father was a teacher so we did a lot of traveling. We went to all the Civil War battlefields east of the Mississippi and all the forts along the St. Lawrence River. We went from one end of U.S. 1 to the other, from Key West to Canada.
We also spent two weeks in a cottage on Lake Winnisquam in New Hampshire.

circa 1955..... Don't you just love my bathing suit?


Bonus Question for Comments: When you were a kid, what was the *best* thing about summer? Why?
Our house was out in country and woods were on three side of house. About a mile away was a mountain reserve where we used to go hiking, build tree forts and camping over night ( See my April 15 Blog entry ). Why? Well what else would a little boy want to do?

2 comments:

  1. How could I have forgotten fire flies? We call them lightening bugs around here, but all the same, I loved catching them. I found out recently that it's much harder to catch them as an adult. Must be due to poor night vision!

    Diana, I have to say that when I read the end of your post and you wrote "what else would a little boy want to do" - my first instinct was to think, "what little boy is she talking about?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, welcome to my world!
    I carry a unique set of memories, I have all my boyhood memories plus I have the memoirs of the loneliness of never quite fitting in. Always being on the fringe and when all the guys were talking car, sports and girls, I was there just trying to fit in, trying to be one of the guys. I was always the one standing just on the edge of the group. Because of those memories is why I call myself a transwoman and not a woman.
    Most of my memories are good, running around and playing with my friends, but I also have memories of crying myself to sleep wanting to wake up in the morning as a girl or sitting watching the girls playing and do thing I wanted to do instead of play silly baseball or football. Or when all the guys were talking about cars or engines, I feigned interest when I really couldn’t care.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete