Monday, November 20, 2023

Today is…

 [Editorial]

...The Transgender Day of Remembrance
(I will be publishing the list of names, in another post today.)

TDoR Hartford with a march to the Capitol and the reading of the names.
I remember when it was the trans community that held vigils around the country, we kept the names, we held the vigils, and it was the trans community that came out.

Now we find the list of names on the HRC and GLAAD websites… the trans community is playing second fiddle to the GAY Inc. organizations.

It is a lot of work compiling the list and it is also very emotional for one or two people to do it know. But what about NCTE? What about other national trans organizations? Why have they turned the organizing over to the grass top Gay organizations?

I remember the first TDoR here in Connecticut it was organized by the CT TransAdvocacy Coalition and it was at the MCC church in the Hartford LGBTQ+ center. (The first one that I wrote about on this blog is here.) in 2002 and I wrote on my old blog,
The “Day of Remembrance” I just got back from the vigil that was held in Hartford. I read the name of Ontwon Curtis, On September 13th of this year she was murdered.
She was shot several times in the chest at her home in Newport News, Virginia. Andrew Coleman has been arrested for her murder.
I had a very difficult time reading that statement out loud. It brings home the point that people will kill one another just because they are different, that they are just trying to be whom they are inside, to be themselves.
It is nice that they are being held all over the nation by churches, and Pride centers but I see it as the trans community has sadly been pushed aside by the GAY Inc.

[/Editorial]

1 comment:

  1. Excellent posting. I posted on furbirdsqueerly the Mother Jones quote, Remember the dead and fight like hell for the living. It is amazing how many TDOR's will be held today in Ct. alone. I do hope that most will call for Mother's quote be put into action and that folks will talk about how race, gender, class come into play. From the streets to the state house, from the schools to the courts our friends and comrades are under attack. Just a tear is not enough. As a cis-gender queer liberationist I stand with all of you, you Diana, your readers and with the larger Transgender community. To the gays and lesbians who wish to drop the T I say F*c* You!!! (another problem we must face) and fight off.

    ReplyDelete