On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
I will be at a picnic all day today.
Last week I mentioned a book that a friend wrote the title is The Enemy Within by William Brett, I gave it to my brother and he has started to read it.
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) Marilyn Monroe performed this song in the 1954 western, River of No Return. In the movie (and at the beginning of this clip) she wears jeans. The wardrobe mistress bought the jeans off the rack at JC Penney's. Yet because of their connection to Marilyn, they are valuable memorabilia. Designer Tommy Hilfiger bought them for a reported $75,000 and today they hang in the closet of Britney Spears. Do you ever shop at thrift stores or websites for second-hand or vintage clothes?
No, but when I was an intern I brought a women there who needed a dress for her daughter’s wedding. They had some nice clothes there.
2) In this song, she sounds melancholy as she recalls a lover who has gone. We hope this morning you're feeling more chipper than Marilyn. In one word, describe your mood.
3) In real life, Marilyn's love life was sailing along. During the filming of this movie, her famous boyfriend, Joe DiMaggio, visited her on location in Canada and they were married by the time the movie was released. Joltin' Joe was of course one of baseball's greats. How is your baseball team doing this season?
What baseball team?
It is interesting where I live in the center of the state that to the north of me are the Red Sox fans and south of me are the Yankee fans..
4) It was during her romance with Joe that Marilyn learned to cook. She enjoyed preparing Thanksgiving stuffing from scratch. Do you have a favorite recipe to share?
No, I am afraid not but one of my aunts made a nice cranberry-orange chutney. Alas when she passed away so did the tradition.
5) Over her lifetime, Marilyn had 43 different addresses. She was always a renter until February 1962, when she bought her final home in Brentwood. If you're a renter, do you ever wish you owned? If you're an owner, do you ever think you'd be happier as a renter?
Well now, I am getting to the age where it is going to be hard to get around and I might have to consider that possibility.
6) Marilyn tended to her famous alabaster complexion with Nivea, which is still available at drugstores today. What's the last thing you purchased at a drugstore? Was it medication? Food or snacks? Health and beauty? Something else?
Actually it was a shot in the arm yesterday I got my second booster.
7) Her signature scent was Chanel No. 5. What fragrance do you wear most often?
No fragrance, I know some people who are allergic to it.
One women came to my house wore so much perfume that I could smell for a month or more.
8) The year Marilyn's recording was released, John Travolta was born. What's your favorite John Travolta movie?
Um… I was never a fan of his. He was always portrayed in the movies as too full of himself.
9) Random question: What happened to your first car? (Sold? Traded in? Still in your garage?)
My parents always traded a car in early, he said that you get the best trading-in- price for it then because there is a good resale. And I care on the tradition.
As I type this 3AM Saturday morning there is an owl in the neighborhood.