Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Visibility.

I have mixed feelings about the Transgender Day of Visibility, on one hand I realized that for many trans trans people being visible could be a death sentences for them but on the hand right now we need to be visible.
Trans Day of Visibility offers chance for community to stand in solidarity and support
The Conversation
By Jay A. Irwin
March 29, 2021


Visibility within the transgender community is often a Catch-22, especially for trans people of color, or those living in rural, conservative areas. Hiding one’s identity can be a damaging experience and increase feelings of isolation, stigma and shame. But standing out as a trans person can make someone a target for discrimination or violence.

As a trans man who studies transgender health and well-being, I believe Trans Day of Visibility – celebrated annually on March 31 – is an important day that allows community members to come together and find support and solidarity by knowing they are not alone.

A celebration’s history
Trans Day of Visibility acknowledges the contributions made by people within the transgender, nonbinary and gender-diverse communities (hereafter referred to as “trans” to encompass anyone who doesn’t identify with their sex assigned at birth).

TDOV has been marked annually since 2009. Before then, the only day of recognition the trans community had was Transgender Day of Remembrance – a day of mourning held on Nov. 20 to commemorate trans people who have died in the previous year.
We need visibility now more than ever, when we stay in the shadows the public only hears from the haters, research has shown when there is a face for the public to see the public is more likely to be for protection for us from the haters.
Fighting stigma
Visibility as a transgender person is not a one-size-fits-all approach for people within the trans community. Some people may embrace visibility while others, for comfort, safety or other deeply personal reasons, may not feel comfortable being visibly trans.
My manta. First rule in coming out… be safe.

However,
Magical feeling of casting off the invisibility cloak
Sidney Morning Herald
By Nyx Calder
March 29, 2021


My name is Nyx Calder. I am a non-binary and transmasculine actor, writer and speaker, and I use they/them pronouns. I have been living openly as a trans person for a little under 12 years, and working as an actor for a little longer than that. Most recently, I’ve been cast in the role of Scorpius Malfoy for the Melbourne production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. This role has had an immense impact on me, and I feel utterly thrilled to be portraying a lead role in such a major production while doing my best to provide what visibility I can for my own community.
[…]
I felt drawn to acting because I’d never seen anyone like me while I was growing up, or at least not in the mainstream media. I never had the opportunity to read books, see films or experience theatre that represented me or my identity in any meaningful way.
[…]
Every time I am messaged or contacted by a young gender-diverse person to say how awesome it is to see someone like them performing, whether they’re an aspiring actor or not, I know that I am one of the many talented folks stepping up to fill that void of representation I felt so keenly in my youth.

It’s what I’m celebrating on this Trans Day of Visibility. There are more of us every day, and if knowing we can work professionally and live happily gives guidance or hope to a younger generation, then I know I got into this profession for a far better reason.
My other mantra… No Transface!

I get a lot of push back on that from the community saying that actresses and actors… act and can play different characters so why not trans people? But… But… It goes far beyond that, it goes to employment, and it goes to visibility. It goes to the public seeing a trans person. It goes to the next generation having a role model.

Visibility goes beyond our country, it is global!
Tasmania celebrates Transgender Day of Visibility 2021
Examiner
By Isobel Cootes
March 31, 2021


March 31 is International Transgender Day of Visibility and it was marked by a historic moment in Tasmania, with the transgender flag being hoisted above Hobart Town Hall in anticipation.

The day was founded in 2009 as a reaction to the lack of LGBT recognition of transgender people, with the only national day being Transgender Day of Remembrance at the time.

Equality Tasmania spokesperson Dr Charlie Burton said the day was important as visibility increased awareness and in turn reduced stigma and discrimination.
It is important that we be seen!

It is important that President Biden appointed a trans person to a high office.
Biden picks 1st transgender person for Senate-confirmed post
AP News
By Will Weissert
January 19, 2021


WASHINGTON (AP) — President-elect Joe Biden has tapped Pennsylvania Health Secretary Rachel Levine to be his assistant secretary of health, leaving her poised to become the first openly transgender federal official to be confirmed by the U.S. Senate.

A pediatrician and former Pennsylvania physician general, Levine was appointed to her current post by Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf in 2017, making her one of the few transgender people serving in elected or appointed positions nationwide. She won past confirmation by the Republican-majority Pennsylvania Senate and has emerged as the public face of the state’s response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Just like actresses and actors, Dr. Levine is someone other trans people can look up to and be a role model for other trans people.

When I was sticking my nose out of the closet back at the turn of the century the Standard of Care was about invisibility… you had to blend into society. Trans people like my could never have transitioned because I am easily identify as trans.
When Trans Visibility Comes At The Cost Of Trans Safety
Junkee
By Yves Rees
31 March 2021


Last year, the trolls came for my blood. It was December, I’d just published an op-ed in The Age about trans representation and was now a Visible Trans Person. My article, combined with several tweets, provoked the ire of online TERFs and other transphobes. My words were picked up by reactionary publications. For my sins, I was called a “heckler” and “hysterical rainbow bully”. The Catholics accused me of propagating “neo-Marxist gender ideology”.
[...]
So extreme was the vitriol, it would’ve been laughable if it wasn’t so alarming. Private messages placed curses on my family. I was sent a GIF of a burning effigy. “Fuck off”. “Piss off, zealot”. “Grow a spine snowflake”. It was relentless. This went on for days until, after almost a week, exhausted by the deluge, fearful of escalation, I deactivated my account.
Be Safe!



So what am I going to do TDoV?

Go grocery shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment