Friday, March 19, 2021

It Is Hard

Trying to find articles other than states trying to pass anti-trans legislation is really hard. I search Google News, Yahoo News, and other news sources but I found one…
First transgender titleholder crowned Miss Silver State USA
ABC Local 3 News
By CNN Newsource
March 17, 2021


LAS VEGAS (KVVU) — It’s a first for one major local beauty pageant: a transgender person is now the reigning titleholder.

Kataluna Enriquez won Miss Silver State USA, the biggest preliminary competition for the Miss Nevada USA pageant.

Enriquez has won transgender pageants before and entered other cisgender competitions, but this is a monumental win.

She will now compete for Miss Nevada USA, the state pageant leading to Miss USA and Miss Universe, pageants once owned by Donald Trump and two of the most coveted crowns in the pageant world.
They put her through a lot of hoops before she was accepted in the pageant.
Her road to the crown has not been that of beauty queens before her. In another pageant outside Nevada, when the organizers found out she was trans, everything changed.

“I was asked to provide documents that were invasive in my opinion physically asking me to get a letter from my doctor,” Enriquez said.

Enriquez was required to meet with a doctor who had to examine her and certify that she was female before being allowed to compete, something not required of anyone else in the competition. At the same pageant, every other contestant was assigned a roommate expect her. She did not want to name that pageant in this report for fear of jeopardizing her chances in future competitions.
I wish her luck.

It seems like sometimes it is three steps forward and four steps backward.

There have been a number of court cases around the country and the world about having trans people in beauty pageants some successful others not. I think one of the reasons that Trump hated us was that in Canada the pageant that Trump ran was forced to accept trans contestants, even though he overruled the local pageant refusal of allowing a trans contestant he saw the hand writing on the wall that pageant was going to lose in court. I think that goes us on Trump’s hate list.

In another article about Ms. Enriquez in the Las Vegas Review Journal
In a question and answer portion of the pageant, Enriquez was asked to describe an obstacle she has faced and is overcoming.

“Growing up, I was often told that I was not allowed to be myself, or to be in spaces that I was not welcome. One of the obstacles I encounter every day is just being true to myself. Today I am a proud transgender woman of color. Personally, I’ve learned that my differences do not make me less than, it makes me more than. And my differences is what makes me unique, and I know that my uniqueness will take me to all my destinations, and whatever I need to go through in life,” Enriquez answered.
We are win in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment