Saturday, May 26, 2018

Saturday 9: G.I. Blues

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: G.I. Blues (1960)



On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

Memorial Day is a federal holiday that honors men and women who served and died in the United States Armed Forces. We want to make sure that message is not lost this weekend.

1) Are you a veteran? Are there veterans in your family? Do you know anyone who is active military? (We are grateful and want to hear about it.)
My father severed in World War II

2) In this song, Elvis sings about marching, and complains that the Army doesn't give Purple Hearts for fallen arches. Do you have any aches or pains to report this morning? 
Ha! Do I, when you get to be my age your warranty starts to run out and I never bought the extended warranty.

3) This song is from the 1960 film of the same name. In the movie, Elvis is in The 32nd Armor Regiment of the United States Army. That's the same regiment he served with in real life. He had the 32nd written into the script as a shout-out to the soldiers he came to know, but realized he'd likely never see again. Is there an old friend you're missing this weekend?
A number of them.

4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food?
Cheeseburger!
I’m on a kick right now with fancy burgers; I bought a hamburger press and now I make burgers with different types of fillings. Some of the combinations that I make are, bacon, bacon & onions, bacon & cheese, blue cheese, Gouda cheese, and plain stuffing (this is one of the best filling, the stuffing hold in the juices).
I tried Parmesan cheese but that was a flop, the cheese was way to over powering.

5) Let's celebrate the Memorial Day holiday with ice cream. What's your favorite flavor? Cone or cup?
Cup. And I haven’t had an ice cream flavor that I didn’t like. A few of my favorites are Cherry Vanilla, Ben & Jerry’s Chillin' the Roast, Haagen Dazs Java Chip, and of course anything chocolate.

P.S. the best ice cream is UConn ice cream and their best flavor is Husky Tracks.
The University of Connecticut started out as an agricultural college and they have their own dairy herd.

5) This marks the weekend when Americans step up their outdoor activity and do things they may not have been able to do during the winter months. For example, when is the last time you applied mosquito repellent?
Probably when we had the New Hampshire cottage.

7) Or swam?
Again, at the New Hampshire cottage. I miss being able to walk out the backdoor, taking a few steps and jumping in the lake on a hot summer night.

8) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on?
I turned it on for the first time last night; it was a hot and sticky night and I couldn’t sleep so I turned on the AC

9) Random question: How do you define success?
No having to live day to day, being able to do the things that you want and not your boss.

6 comments:

  1. I looooove the idea of a burger with "plain stuffing." Now that you mention it, it sounds obvious and completely delicious and I wonder why it's not on menus all over America. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say what!? There's an extended warranty? Nobody told me about this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you miss that place in New Hampshire. Good memories, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All those burgers sound yummy...well, except for the blue cheese. I haven't been cooking them, but have been ordering burgers a lot when we go out lately. Enjoy the long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the simplicity of #9!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Retirement is sweet, you got that right!
    and your Cottage on the Lake sure sounds good to be able take a running jump into cool clear water must be heavenly. Salt Water has it's charms but nothing is better than a lake for quick dips. You don't have to rinse off!

    ReplyDelete