Saturday, July 23, 2016

Saturday 9: Surf City

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Surf City (1963)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun...
... Because Melissa suggested Jan and Dean. Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) When the song was written, "Surf City" was a fictitious town.* Tell us a song that is set in a real place.
New York, New York


2) In the song, Jan and Dean sing about riding around in a 1934 station wagon, which means the car was 29 years old when the song was recorded. How old is your vehicle?
3 ½ years old

3) Are you good on a surf board?
I have never been on one so I doubt it very much

4) When you spend time out in the sun, are you careful about applying sunscreen?  
I don’t go out in the sun that much, I much rather sit in the shad.

5) Dean's original partner was Arnie Ginsburg. When Dean was drafted into the Army, Arnie didn't feel like waiting so he abandoned show business and went back to college. Today he holds several patents. What is something you wish someone would invent? 
A transporter so I don’t have to drive everywhere.

6) Jan was a perpetual student who juggled college with recording. He not only graduated from UCLA, he completed two years of medical school at the UC Irvine School of Medicine. Have you ever considered going back to school?
I have gone back to college after 40 years I went back when was 60.

7) In 1966, Jan was sidelined by a serious car accident. During the years that he was unable to perform, partner Dean became a graphic artist. He designed logos and album covers for Steve Martin, Diana Ross and others. Do you feel you respond most to words, pictures, or music?
Words and pictures.

8) In 1978, CBS made a TV movie about Jan and Dean. If they approached you about a made-for-TV movie of your life, who would you like to play you?
Yikes! I don’t know but it will have to be an actor to play the first half of my life and an actress to play the second half.

9) Random question:  Growing up, how did you learn about the birds and the bees? (From books/the web, from parents, from your friends...)
My mother sheepishly handed me a book.

8 comments:

  1. Your answer to #9 was short but effective. I could picture how awkward it was for both you and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think if we triangulate on that transporter we'll be able to conjure it up. I would love a transporter, too.

    Loved your answer to #8.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going back to school at 60 is impressive. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often wish for teleportation--that would be a great invention!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A transporter/teleporter would be great. If I had one of those, I wouldn't have to worry about the maniacal drivers out there!

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A teleporter would be a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would certainly go and support that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm more of a shade person myself these days. Sorry this is a week late :) Enjoyed reading your other posts up to this one too! Lots of dumbasses out there this election cycle....

    ReplyDelete