Saturday, July 16, 2016

Saturday 9: Sara Smile

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Sara Smile (1976)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun...
This Saturday I’m home for the first time in about a month, so I can reply to your posts.

... Because Kwizgiver suggested Hall & Oates. Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This was Hall & Oates' first #1 hit. Can you name another of their popular songs? 
The other song that I liked was "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'"



2) Darryl Hall and Sara Allen were a couple for 30 years, and he wrote this at the beginning of their long relationship. That makes this a very public love letter. Are you good at writing love letters? Would you rather tell the person how you feel, face to face? Or do you let your actions speak louder than your words?
I am a face to face type of person; I want to be looking into her eyes.

3) In the song, Darryl and Sara are waiting for the sunrise. Did you see the sunrise this morning? Or did you sleep in? 
Well… since I couldn’t get to sleep until after one AM and took a sleeping pill, I sleep to a little bit after eight.

4) Both Hall & Oates hail from the Philadelphia area. Hall is a native of suburban Pottstown, which was a stop on the Reading/Philadelphia rail line made famous in Monopoly. Do you like playing board games?
I like Backgammon and I also like Monopoly board game because you can cheat. With the board game if they didn’t notice that you landed on one of their properties you can get away without paying rent.
Also I have been attending game night on the first Tuesday at Real Art Ways in Hartford, I play with a group of women.

5) John Oates grew up a few miles away from Pottstown in North Wales. Decades ago, North Wales' biggest employer was a cigar factory. Do you like the smell of a cigar?
UGH! No way… cigars stink for days afterwards. I can usually tell when my brother smoked a cigar while working down stairs at the cottage.

6) Daryl Hall now hosts a music show, Live from Daryl's House, that you catch free online. Do you typically watch shows from your computer, pad, phone or TV set?
Yes. I watch shows on all of them except the phone because I have a flip phone.

7) Hall & Oates are currently on tour. Are you seeing/have you seen a concert this summer?
No, I might attend a free concert in one of the town parks in the area.

8) Daryl and John have been friends for 50 years, even living together at the beginning of their careers when money was tight. Another successful duo of the rock era, Simon & Garfunkle, also met as teens but they forever seem to be feuding. What do you think makes for a lasting friendship/partnership?
The willingness to listen and sharing common interests.

9) Random question:  Are you quick to try new things?
If something catches my fancy I have been known to buy it.

5 comments:

  1. I forgot that they did Loving Feeling. I had no idea that I liked so many of their tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Backgammon, I don't get to play much anymore--I should see if there's a good video version I could download...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how neat to have a group of friends who get together to play games. I would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my. I forgot they did Lovin' Feeling. I enjoyed listening to it, it's one of my favorites (though I generally listen to the original version). But this one is good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A free concert in the park sounds just like a lovely summer event.

    ReplyDelete