Saturday, February 22, 2014

Saturday 9: Susan

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Susan


Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here (Boy Sam, you dug down in the bottom of the bin to pull that golden oldie out.).

1) In this song, our hero tells Susan that "no other girl could ever take the place of you." Crazy Sam feels that no other earmuffs could ever take the place of the ones she left in restaurant coat room last month. Tell us about something you recently broke, lost or misplaced.
I broke the antenna on my car. I opened the garage door but I didn’t raise it high enough, my car antenna got caught on the bottom of the door and broke off.

2) When this song was first released back in 1968, the name Susan was very popular. According the Social Security Administration, it was one of the top 10 baby girl names of the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. Today it's not even in the top 100. Do you know anyone named Susan (or Suzanne)?
Yes, a number of Susans, after all I am of that generation.

3) The Buckinghams were Chicago's attempt to get in on The British Invasion begun by the Beatles. (Hence the silly suits.) But they took their name from Chicago's famous Buckingham Fountain. If Crazy Sam visited your neighborhood, what local site would you recommend she check out?
Mt. Trashmore, it is a quite impressive 150 foot high mound of trash. I think they should make it into a ski area (We are just your typical suburban town).

4) Chicago is known for deep dish pizza. Describe your dream pizza. (Calories, carbs and gluten need not be a factor because it's dream pizza!)
I am just a basic pizza kind of gal, sausage, peppers, onions, and cheese.

5) The Buckinghams got their big break by winning a local "battle of the bands." Do you often go to concerts or bars to listen to live music?
I used to go to listen to folk music, but the place burned down. It was a coffee shop where you could sit in overstuffed chairs drinking coffee and listening to original folk music. I tried going to bars but people just talked over the band and you couldn't appreciate the music and I tried going to churches that had open mic or folk bands but they had metal folding chairs which is hard on the butt and back.

6) The best-selling book in 1968 (the year "Susan" was released) was Airport by Arthur Hailey. It was set during a snowstorm at Lincoln International, a fictional airport based on Chicago's O'Hare. What's the most recent airport you flew to? Why were you there?
Bradley Field and I was there because I wanted to get home from a business trip and that was where my car was parked.

7) Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls, Cubs, Sox ... Chicago is a big sports town. What's your favorite pro team?
Team Oracle… Who? What sport was that? Any guesses?

8) Thinking of sports, did you watch the Olympics? If yes, which events?
Nope, no interest, it just doesn’t appeal to me.

9) Do you consider yourself an idealist or a pragmatist?
It depends on my mood; if I feel down in the dumps then I am a pragmatist but if I feel bubbly and full of hope then I’m an idealist. But lately I have been a pragmatist.

7 comments:

  1. That's so sad about that coffee house. It sounds like a charming little place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up Team Oracle as I had no idea. That would be a great team to root for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe your coffee house will reopen elsewhere. I love little places like that, when you can make them your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the place in Friends! That's so sad it's gone, though. I'm curious about Team Oracle. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really only been interested in the Olympics this winter because of my former student, Russell Currier, on the men's biathlon team.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha ha- we had a Mt Trashmore growing up too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pragmatist/idealist is shifting all the time, darn!

    I love the idea of seeing Mt. Trashmore! Can we have pizza and throw the box on it? And sorry the coffee house burnt down. What a shock. I don't want to go to the church concerts anymore either (Hawaiian artists mostly) because of the wooden bench seats. Ouch! I soooo understand.

    ReplyDelete