Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Yesterday And Tomorrow

Every year I am invited to take part in a panel on LGBT medical issues at a local med school for 2nd year students and this is about my tenth time being on the panel. This year’s panel consisted of two trans-women, two lesbian women, a gay man and an ally. One of the lesbian was the director of the Rainbow Center at UConn.

Before the panel a doctor talks about how to make a doctor’s office a safe space and how to take a health history being gender and sexual orientation neutral. I have always found his lecture very informative even for a lay person. Some of my doctors based on the lecture I would a “D” and some an “A+.” One of my doctors never questioned me about a me sexual history, I’ll give him a “D.” Another doctor when I was going down my lists of meds and when I got to estradiol, he stopped and looked at me and asked why I was taking estradiol (This was before my transition). I told him I was transsexual; he put aside his tablet (I thought here it comes where he says he doesn’t want me as a patient) and said that I was his first transsexual patient, do you mind us talking about it? We talked for about ten minutes and then he did his freckle check. I’ll give him an “A+” he did everything that the lecture covered.

He let me know that this was off-the-record by putting aside his tablet. He didn’t take notes while we talked and he kept eye contact.

The lecture went on to cover what are some of the things that doctor can do to show that it is a safe space to talk and how it is just as important to train the office staff about creating a safe space (such as posters or magazines).

After the panel discussion we broke up into smaller study groups, even though they could ask questions of the panel the smaller groups allow more detailed questioning. They tend to not to want to ask questions in the lecture hall but when they are in their study groups open up with their friends.

This year I developed a number of major health problems and I was poke, prodded, x-rayed and MRIed in every possible way and I never had a problem with doctors, medical technicians or staff at the hospital. For most of the test when I showed up that was when they found out that I am trans, while at other places I am a regular patient.

In the past I dreaded going to the doctors because I was afraid that my “dirty little secret” (that I crossdressed) would be found out. I use to shave my body right after my annual physical in September and let my body hair grow back in the spring. One time I had the flu or a bad cold and I was running a fever over 100 and I didn’t go to the doctor’s because I was afraid that I would be scorned. But as usual my fears have been groundless at least for me. However, for other trans-people their fears have not been groundless.

1 comment:

  1. I used to dread seeing the doctor after shaving the hair off my body - and scheduled appointments for after it had a chance to grow back. Now, I say - to hell with it, and let the doc see my skin the way I normally keep it.

    Mind you, I have not had the need or desire to mention that I crossdress - and doubt that will come up any time soon. However, if I am ever in a position where I am in womens' clothes virtually full time (either a real transition or a virtual one), I will bring up the subject - and go to my appointments in the wardrobe I normally dress in for the outside world.

    ReplyDelete