Saturday, December 19, 2020

Saturday 9: Happy Holidays!

Sam’s Saturday 9: Happy Holidays! (from the archives)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


1. As you can see, Sam loved giving her annual wish list to Santa. Yet some children are reluctant to climb into Jolly Old St. Nick's lap. Did you enjoy the tradition or were you shy? Or did you by pass it altogether -- either because you wrote him a letter or because your family didn't celebrate Christmas?

We went down to Macy’s in New York City to visit Santa and I remember all the toys there, it was like heaven on earth. Every type of toy for boys or girls.

But I don’t remember sitting on Santa's lap, but my father was Santa for the Kiwanis at their annual Christmas tree lot.

2. Are you currently on the Naughty or Nice list? How did you get there?
Naughty… How did I get there? It is a lot easier than being nice.

3. Did you ship any gifts to friends and family this year? If so, which one traveled the farthest?
No, just Christmas cards which went out today.

4. Did you buy yourself a gift this year?
Yes, an ice cream maker.

5. What's your favorite holiday-themed movie? Have you seen it yet this year?
I don’t really have a favorite Christmas movie.
But I did attend a talk at college by talk show host, humorist, and author Jean Shepherd who wrote Christmas Story. He had us rolling in laughter.

Update 9:45 AM: I usually go to Theater Works to see the play Christmas on the Rock and this year it is being done virtually.

6. Thinking of movies, Christmas is lucrative for Hollywood. Have you ever gone to a movie theater on Christmas Day?
Yes. My grandnephew want to see a movie and have Chinese.

7. Have you ever suffered an embarrassing moment at the company Christmas party?
Nope, but I watched a lot of the employees make a fool of themselves.

The Polish guys at work used to bring bottles of 150 proof Polish Vodka, let a maraschino cherry sink to the bottom and then start doing shots.

At another place where I worked there was an assembly line on a conveyor belt and there were about 20 women who worked on the line. They assembled electronic components as they went by on the belt, well for Christmas there used to be bottles of booze that went down the belt and by the time the bottles reached the end they were empty. They ended that Christmas tradition when one of the ladies drove in to a tree on the way home.

8. What's your favorite beverage in cold weather?
Now? Hot chocolate.

9. Share a memory from last Christmas.
Nothing spectacular. I think that I fell asleep, I drove to New Jersey and back the same day so I took a nap while everyone watched football games.

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us next week for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your holidays!

7 comments:

  1. Drinking on the assembly line ..not a good idea. I saw an accident happen the summer I worked at a cosmetics company, and everyone was sober ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you mentioned Chinese food on Christmas. Since I'm going to be alone this year for the first time in forever, I was wondering what I'd do for my solo dinner. I bet Chinese carryout will be available. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, they are open. Just be prepared for long lines

      Delete
  3. The assembly line drinking just sounds dangerous. I love hot chocolate too. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are some stories. Drinking on the assembly line! Reminds me of Lucy trying to keep up with the chocolates or the Vita-mita-vega-mit commercial she tried to do! I would love some good Chinese. All our nearby Chinese restaurants have closed down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 150 proof! Just the fumes could set you on your keester. lol
    Chinese food sounds great. But I know we aren't going to have it. Time to fire the cook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drinking on the job...yikes, but that doesn't seem like a good idea! But Macy's at Christmas, I bet that was AMAZING!! Sort of the holy grail of Christmas displays is what I'm imagining. Oh, I bet Jean Shepherd is hilarious in person. I read the book "A Christmas Story" and I watch the movie several times every year. I can pretty much speak the dialog right along with it and/or quote it at will. It's the funniest movie! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete