Saturday, November 21, 2020

Saturday 9

Sam’s Saturday 9: Walking on Broken Glass (1992)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Annie sings that she feels she's walking on broken glass. What's the most recent item you broke?
I forget, it was a couple of weeks ago and I remember that I was mad at myself for breaking it. But like a bruise, you forget what you did. 

2) She sings about being cut until she bleeds. Tell us about a time you needed stitches.
Actually in all my years of living I only had stitches once and to this day I remember it. I was about 10 years old at the time and we were in a car accident… This was long before padded dashboard, air bags, and seat belts. We were on the Merritt Parkway Easter afternoon coming back from visiting my father’s mother and somebody threw a cigarette that caught the grass on fire. The smoke blew across the highway and the next instant we were in a seven car pileup.
When I hit the dash I almost bit off my tongue and I needed stitches. My mother got the worst of it, she was scalped. She had the visor down to block the setting sun but she didn’t have it pushed toward the window, it was at about a 45 degree angle facing toward her and on impact she was thrown forward and the visor peeled back her scalp.

Here is my pet peeve: Don’t put your feet up on dashboard, in the event of a low speed accident it can kill you.

A woman at work was in an accident going about 10 mph and had he feet up on the dash, when the air bags went off it drove her legs and knees into her chest. It fractured both her knees and hips, the EMTs said she was lucky to be alive because most times it drives your knees into your chest killing you.

When she stopped by to see HR I talked to her. She had seven operations with more to come but she said she will always need a walker to get around.

3) This week's featured artist, Annie Lennox, was born on Christmas Day. Do you know anyone whose birthday falls on a holiday?
Yes, my grand niece was born on the 4th of July.

4) When Annie met Dave Stewart, with whom she'd form the duo The Eurthmyics, she was living in Australia and staying in a tiny apartment called a bedsit. The occupant has his/her own combination bedroom/livingroom with cooking facilities, but must share a bathroom. Tell us about one of your early apartments.
My one and only apartment with with six other college students, four guys and two women in a three bedroom and one really large closet apartment.

5) After the Eurythmics broke up, Annie went out on her own. Would you rather work independently, or as part of a group?
I worked both ways and it doesn’t matter.

6) Among her many honors, Annie Lennox was named chancellor of Scotland's Glasgow Calledonia University. What's the last college campus you visited? What brought you there?
Oh, none lately. It has been all on Zoom. I think the last time was when I was on a committee for the Yale School of Nursing we were working to get a grant to start a new clinic.

7) In 1992, the year this song was recorded, compact discs outsold cassette tapes for the first time. Back in the day, did you enjoy making your own mix tapes?
Oh yes, I had the only 8-track recorder (Mommy what is an 8-track?) in the dorm so everyone was stopping by to make their own 8-track tapes

8) Also in 1992, Johnny Carson made his last appearance as host of The Tonight Show. The catchphrase, "Here's Johnny!" was associated with the show. Can you think of another popular TV catchphrase?
“Bang, zoom, to the moon, Alice!”
"aaaaay"

9) Random question: Think of your past week. Now look ahead to the coming week. Would you like it to be more, or less, exciting?
Well since I am hibernating, all the weeks blend into one another. My big excitement is watching the squirrels trying to reach the bird feeder.

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I read your #8 in the Fonz voice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story about stitches was harrowing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be the worst at putting my feet on the dash, but I stopped. I have heard similar stories that you just told. It is scary. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that thing about the air bags is scary. I'm short so I sit too close to the steering wheel when I drive - I have to in order to reach the pedals. But I am terrified that the air bag will drive itself into me if I have an accident. I've heard they can do real damage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a horrific accident you and your mom were in! No wonder you remember it vividly. I used to ride with my feet up when I was younger. It's too hard to get them up there now and not at all comfortable, but I'd have quit anyway after people started sharing a post-accident x-ray of someone who had their feet up during a wreck. Oh, ha! I forgot about "To the moon, Alice, to the moon!" I even say that one now and then. I hope you have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I won't be putting my feet up on the dashboard anymore, for certain! Thanks for the timely advice!
    Like you, I can happily work with people or on my own. I think that being in quilting bees and in knitting groups, and being a classroom aide has made me like groups better.
    That Jackie Gleason show quote rang a big bell, finally, in this old noggin.
    Enjoy your holiday in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

    ReplyDelete