Monday, November 30, 2020

No One Is Immune.


Trans people are not immune from violent attacks, the latest trans person to be attacked is Emmy-nominated actress Laverne Cox.
Laverne Cox Says She And Friend Were Attacked Because She’s Trans
Forbes
By Carlie Porterfield
November 29, 2020


Laverne Cox, best known for her role on Netflix hit Orange Is The New Black and for being the first openly trans person to be nominated for an acting Emmy, said she and a friend were targeted in a transphobic attack over the weekend by a stranger “looking for trouble because I happen to be a trans person in public.”
[…]
“It doesn’t matter who you are. You can be Laverne Cox, you know, or whatever that means,” she said. “If you’re trans . . . you’re going to experience stuff like this.”
It doesn’t matter who you are, whether you can integrate in to society or you are recognized as trans there is always that threat of violence.
Laverne Cox is 'in shock' but OK after she and a friend were targeted in transphobic attack
USA Today
By Hannah Yasharoff
November 29, 2020


Actress Laverne Cox is "definitely in shock" and "triggered" but OK after a transphobic attack while walking with a friend in a park.

Cox, 48, shared in a live Instagram video Saturday that she and a male friend had been walking earlier that day in Los Angeles' Griffith Park when a man "very aggressively" asked for the time. Cox's friend told him what time it was, after which the man asked, "Guy or girl?"

Her friend, understanding the man was referring to Cox, told him to "(expletive) off" and the man began hitting her friend, she recalled. The actress and her friend, whom she wanted to keep anonymous, believed the man wanted Cox to answer his questions so he could gauge "whether I'm trans or not."
[…]
"This dude was looking for trouble ... because I happened to be a trans person in public," she said. "That's all it felt like. This isn't shocking to me – obviously, this is my life. I've dealt with this a lot, but it never fails to be shocking, I guess... I've been trans my whole life, I've been harassed and bullied my whole life. None of this is new, but it's still just kind of like ... why do you need to be aggressive?"

She added: "If doesn't matter who you are. You can be, like, Laverne Cox, whatever that means. If you're trans, you're going to experience stuff like this."
Haters have been emboldened by Trump and have crawled out the swamp into the open.

I am a little leery because I have been on the local news many times and you never know what the right-wing “patriots” will do. One time a reporter found my home phone number and address, if he could find where I lived anyone could.

I worry about trans people like Jazz and other out trans young women, like Ms. Cox they can become targets for violence.

Be safe out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment