Tuesday, September 03, 2019

Good Idea Or Bad Idea

In the past I have written about 55+ LGBTQ+ living communities, what about a school just for trans students? This has been making its rounds on Facebook.
Latin America's first transgender school helps kids cope with bullying, discrimination
Chilean transgender children find hope at Latin America’s first school for trans children. “I’m happy here because there are many other kids just like me.”
NBC News
By Associated Press
January 23, 2019

SANTIAGO, Chile — Growing up as a transgender child in Chile, Angela was so desperate to escape the physical and verbal abuse from other students at her elementary school that she thought about taking her own life.

“I just wanted to die,” said the now 16-year-old. “I didn’t want to exist, because what they did to me made me feel awful.”

After suffering years of discrimination, Angela and some 20 other transgender minors aged 6 to 17 have found hope at Latin America’s first school for trans children. The institution, founded by the Chile-based Selenna Foundation that protects their rights, is a milestone in a country that was so socially conservative that it only legalized divorce in 2004.
[…]
“I’m happy here because there are many other kids just like me,” said Alexis, a 6-year-old student, who also said that he was constantly bullied at his previous school.
So is it ghettoizing us?

From what I know here in Connecticut integration has proceed with only a few glitches, trans students have been accepted in schools. I think almost all the schools in Connecticut have a “Gay Straight Alliance” (GSA), I know in my town a student transitioned before kindergarten and by now she must be in high school.

There have been glitches mainly with trans athletes but in general the schools are trying to do the right thing (on the right side of my blog are the “Gov. Malloy Signs Executive Order Protecting Transgender Students in Connecticut Schools”, “CT Department of Education FAQ”, “CT CHRO Guidelines for Schools on Gender Identity and Expression”, and “An Open Letter to School Superintendents, Principals and Presidents of the PTA/PTO.”).

But I realize that not everywhere they have protections like we have here in Connecticut so maybe having a separate school for us might be a good idea.

So what do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment