Saturday, March 02, 2019

Saturday 9: Come Saturday Morning

Sam’s Saturday 9: Come Saturday Morning (1969)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…



Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
I think that I have their album.

1) What are your plans for this Saturday morning?
Watch the snow come down and hope we don’t get too much snow and it melts quickly.

2) In this song, a man sings of going away for the day with a friend. Where did you go on your last day trip?
To my nephew’s for Christmas

3) The lyrics say, "we will remember long after Saturday's gone." What's something you've done recently that you predict you'll remember for a long time to come?
Well last night I was searing a steak in a cast iron frying pan and it set off not only the smoke alarm but also my alarm system. So the 7 smoke alarms we going off all around the alarm system was blaring away and the phone is ringing.
I answered the phone first because the alarm company wants to know what the hell is going on and if they should call off the dogs (i.e. the fire department). I had all the doors open in the 35 degree night to air out the house and that stopped the smoke alarms and then I had to figure out how to shut off the fire priority circuit on the alarm system. It took about a half hour to read the manual and figure it out (this was probably the first time the fire alarm on my security system went off in 40 years)
So peace and quiet finally returned to Diana’s household.

4) This song was the Oscar-nominated theme from the movie The Sterile Cuckoo. What's the first movie song that pops into your head?


5) In the movie, Liza Minnelli played Mary Ann Adams, an eccentric girl everyone called "Pookie." Have you ever been known by a memorable nickname? Who gave it to you?
Snork
I was taking scuba lessons in college.

6) Today's group began their career as The Grads. Recording artist/producer Herb Alpert liked their sound but hated their name. Alpert picked "sandpiper" at random out of the dictionary. Do you still have and use a bound dictionary? Or do you rely on the internet for word searches and spelling?
I still have an unabridged dictionary that probably hasn’t been opened in 20 years.


7) The biggest news story of 1969, the year this song was popular, was one of the biggest news stories of all time. On July 20, Neil Armstrong stepped foot on the moon. Other than the moon landing, what's the most consequential event that you've seen in your lifetime. How do you feel it changed America, and the world?
Challenger

8)1969 was a big year for music festivals, with Atlanta, Toronto and Woodstock all holding famous fests. Have you visited Georgia, Ontario or New York (state)?
Yes, yes, and yes.
We were going to go to Woodstock Saturday morning but watching the news Friday night changed our minds.

9) Random question -- According to some plant enthusiasts, house plants do better when they're spoken to. Do you talk to your plants?
Only when they ask questions.

8 comments:

  1. #3 exhausted me, just reading it! (But was your pan seared steak good?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was but I had to warm it up after I found out how to bring quiet again to my house.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, The Challenger. That was awful. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3--oh my word! I can just imagine the ruckus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the Challenger... my government teacher was in the running for one of the teachers to go up in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Challenger would be my second. It shook me to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am laughing so hard at the smoke alarm story! That is something that would happen here if we had an alarm system...I am sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That nick name is perfect and cute, but you may have hated it. lol
    I'll bet that steak tasted good even though it almost caused a riot in your mind.
    I use the tiny dictionaries now. The big ones tax my thumbs!
    Have a great weekend, Diana...

    ReplyDelete