Thursday, March 21, 2019

Justice Is Served

I wish it didn’t have to end this way but he left no other choice, he let his bigotry and hatred override the duties of his job.
'You freak me out': School official loses job after allegedly harassing trans teen
A West Virginia school district has decided not to renew the contract of an assistant principal accused of harassing a transgender student in a boys' bathroom.
NBC News
By Tim Fitzsimons and The Associated Press
March 20, 2019

The school board in Harrison County, West Virginia, voted on Tuesday not to renew the contract of a school official who had been temporarily suspended late last year for allegedly harassing a transgender male student.

Lee Livengood, an assistant principal at Liberty High School, allegedly followed Michael Critchfield, 15, into the boys' bathroom last November and told him, “You freak me out.”

Livengood was suspended without pay for four days in December before returning to Liberty High. The American Civil Liberties Union's West Virginia chapter called the suspension "not sufficient."

The ACLU said 1,100 people signed a petition demanding the board take action. The petition was delivered Tuesday.
[…]
“I felt really degraded and discriminated against,” Critchfield said, adding that school “should feel like a safe place."
I am not asking for people to change how they think of us, I am asking for them to treat us fairly and equally just like they treat everyone else.*

Before I retired one of the employees at the factory was an asshole and a bigot (Hint: he shot off the tip of one of his fingers), but my job required for me to work with him and I put my bias aside and I did my best to work with him.

*One of the lawyers for the Commission for Human Rights and Opportunities (CHRO) once said it is not against the law to be an asshole as long as the person is an equal opportunity asshole and isn’t an asshole against a protected class.

No comments:

Post a Comment