Saturday, February 09, 2019

Saturday 9: Waiting for a Star to Fall

Sam’s Saturday 9: Waiting for a Star to Fall (1988)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…



Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) "Waiting for a Star to Fall" was literally inspired by a falling star. The singing/songwriting duo of Boy Meets Girl was at a big, outdoor concert and could have sworn they saw a falling star in the night sky. Have you ever seen a falling star?
Many, many shooting stars.
When we had the lake cottage in New Hampshire I used to lay out on the deck next to the lake and just watch the stars.
View from the New Hampshire cottage's dock... I miss it terribly


2) They offered this song to Whitney Houston, who declined to record it. Whitney did have hits with two other songs they wrote: "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" and "How Will I Know?" What's your favorite Whitney song?
Um… I don’t know, I’ll have to see a list of her songs… BRB
Okay I’m back
I Will Always Love You.

3) Boy Meets Girl were George and Shannon, a husband-and-wife team originally from Seattle, WA. In 2016, Seattle was named America's most "bike-friendly city." Do you own a bike?
No, I used to but at the time there was no place to ride a bike around here it was a choice of country roads or a main state road.

4) George and Shannon met for the first time at a wedding. She was a guest, he was in the band. Think of the last wedding present you bought. Was it from the bride and groom's registry?
I don’t think that they had a bride’s or a groom's registry, they just had a registry.

5) In 1988, when this song was popular, 98% of American homes had a TV set. Today, that figure has dipped to 96%, presumably because Millennials are watching more content online. What's the last video you watched online?
Cloudburst.

6) In 1988 saw the introduction of one of the most memorable slogans of all time: "Just Do It." Without looking it up, do you know what brand "Just Do It" promotes? 
Nike

7) In 1988, Sonny Bono went from entertainer to Republican politician when he was elected Mayor of Palm Springs. Have you ever met the mayor of your town?
Yes.
And also my state Representative and Senator,
And also the former governor,
And also the state comptroller,
And also my U.S. Senators,
And also my U.S. Congressman.

8) Michael Douglas took home the Oscar in 1988 for his portrayal of Gordon Gekko in the movie Wall Street. The American Film Institute named Gekko one of the "top movie villains of all time." Do you think bad guys are as interesting as good guys?
I don’t like cops shows anymore, it seems like all they are now is bang, bang, shoot them up or one car chase after another.
I like the mysteries on PBS’s Masterpiece Theater a lot better.

9) Random question: Have you ever seen a photo of yourself naked? (Baby pictures don't count.)
Nope and I don’t intend to.

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Your answer to #1 makes me feel like I'm missing something by being a city girl. I've never seen a shooting star.

    Your answer to #8 confuses me, in that Michael Douglas/Gordon Gekko was a white collar criminal in the movie Wall Street. His crimes were financial, and I don't recall any car chases in that movie. Maybe you were thinking of his TV show?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw the movie but my comment was in general about movies with good and bad guys they all seem the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a star watcher too. So beautiful and peaceful.
    I love PBS too! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching the stars is a lovely way to pass some time. I wish it was warm so I could do it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your answer to #8.

    And yes to stargazing! It's easy to do here in Northern Maine, too. As well as northern lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to pack my bags and come visit you Kwiz...the northern lights are on my bucket list.

      Delete
  6. I am so jealous of that view! I'd have to drive hours in any direction to find skies that dark. So much light pollution. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete